Solaris Newbie with no MAN pages

Post by Jim Stucke » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

A  friend just gave me his old Sparc 10.  We loaded Solaris 2.5.1 on it
and I don't seem to have any MAN pages from this installation. I don't
know if it was a bad install or if his CD ROM just didn't have the MAN
files on it.

Does anyone know if (or where) I can go to download the MAN pages for
this system.

I am brand new to Solaris, but I did take a Unix class a few years ago
and I have the Solaris System Admin Guide to help me with some of it.
But obviously, the MAN pages would be a big help.

Thanks for your help

Solaris Newbie with no MAN pages

Post by Marvin Wolftha » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

docs.sun.com

Quote:> A  friend just gave me his old Sparc 10.  We loaded Solaris 2.5.1 on it
> and I don't seem to have any MAN pages from this installation. I don't
> know if it was a bad install or if his CD ROM just didn't have the MAN
> files on it.

> Does anyone know if (or where) I can go to download the MAN pages for
> this system.

> I am brand new to Solaris, but I did take a Unix class a few years ago
> and I have the Solaris System Admin Guide to help me with some of it.
> But obviously, the MAN pages would be a big help.

> Thanks for your help

Solaris Newbie with no MAN pages

Post by fverbo.. » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I can give you the procedure for Solaris 2.7, I suppose that the
procedure for Solaris 2.5.1 is quite the same.

Make sure the volume management is started. It normally is after a
standard installation.

1. 2.5.1 CD-Rom in the reader.
2. #cd /cdrom/Sol_5.1_xxx/s0/Solaris_xxx/Product
3. #pkgadd -d . SUNWman

Note that installation on your system could take some time.

Quote:> A  friend just gave me his old Sparc 10.  We loaded Solaris 2.5.1 on
it
> and I don't seem to have any MAN pages from this installation. I don't
> know if it was a bad install or if his CD ROM just didn't have the MAN
> files on it.

> Does anyone know if (or where) I can go to download the MAN pages for
> this system.

> I am brand new to Solaris, but I did take a Unix class a few years ago
> and I have the Solaris System Admin Guide to help me with some of it.
> But obviously, the MAN pages would be a big help.

> Thanks for your help

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Adrian Bal » Wed, 28 Jun 2000 04:00:00

> A  friend just gave me his old Sparc 10.  We loaded Solaris 2.5.1 on it
> and I don't seem to have any MAN pages from this installation. I don't
> know if it was a bad install or if his CD ROM just didn't have the MAN
> files on it.

> Does anyone know if (or where) I can go to download the MAN pages for
> this system.

Sounds like you installed the "end user" cluster of software - to include the
man pages, you could have used the "developer system support" cluster.  (Yes,
I know it's dumb expecting that end users wouldn't need man pages, but then
again IMHO things went downhill on that front when Sun stopped bundling the C
compiler...).

Anyway, to install them on your system retrospectively:-
1) Mount the Solaris 2.5.1 CD (which, if you have volume management running,
will just be a case of putting it in the drive and waiting a couple of seconds
- use the 'mount' command to see if you have /cdrom/something mounted - if you
have, go to /cdrom/cdrom0/s0 and find the directory with all the packages in -
hundreds of files beginning SUNW)
If you have to mount the CD manually, use mount -F hsfs -r /dev/dsk/c0t6d0s0
/mnt (c0t6d0s0 is a guess, it may be different on your box) and find the
packages directory.
2) Install the man package(s).  You will need at least SUNWman - install it
with pkgadd -d . SUNWman
You may want to add the X-windows man pages as well pkgadd -d . SUNWxwman
SUNWolman

Hope this is enough to get you started...

--
   Adrian Ball - Technical Consultant      ||          Barron McCann Ltd
         Major Data Services Ltd           || Business Recovery Services