Solaris 8 IP Multipathing

Solaris 8 IP Multipathing

Post by Pau » Tue, 06 Apr 2004 21:33:07



Anyone doing IP Multipathing on their enterprise servers?  Is it worth
it?  It would seem there are other bottlenecks to consider.  I am
still trying to get my arms around the whole 10/100 Mbps.  How many MB
of data is that?  If I have two sites connected over a  WAN, private
T1, would grouping two NIC's on my servers at both ends, give me more
through put?

Paul

 
 
 

Solaris 8 IP Multipathing

Post by Barbie LeVil » Wed, 07 Apr 2004 02:45:05


On 5 Apr 2004 05:33:07 -0700


> Anyone doing IP Multipathing on their enterprise servers?  Is it worth
> it?  It would seem there are other bottlenecks to consider.  I am
> still trying to get my arms around the whole 10/100 Mbps.  How many MB
> of data is that?  If I have two sites connected over a  WAN, private
> T1, would grouping two NIC's on my servers at both ends, give me more
> through put?

I do use IPMP, its purpose is not the give more bandwidth in the first
place, but to provide fault tolerance in case a link goes down for what
ever reason.
That you get increased outgoing traffic is a side effect when all
interfaces that participate in an IPMP setup are active, in such a case
a loadbalancing mechanism is used to spread outgoing traffic over all
avilable interfaces.
Inbound load balancing can be setup too, however you need something like
a dns roundrobin, or othe means to direct the traffic at the different
interfaces. Unlike trunking the interfaces are not handled as one big
pipe, but as several individual pipes.

As for getting more traffic over a T1, thats simply impossible,
no matter how many interfaces you use, since a T1 is 1.544MBit, while a
fast ethernet is 100MBit, making it 200MBit does not make the T1 faster.

--
Barbie - Prayers are like junkmail for Jesus

I have seen things you lusers would not believe.
I've seen Sun monitors on fire off the side of the multimedia lab.
I've seen NTU lights glitter in the dark near the Mail Gate.
All these things will be lost in time, like the root partition last
week. Time to die.

 
 
 

Solaris 8 IP Multipathing

Post by Mark Danie » Fri, 09 Apr 2004 01:42:16



> Question 1:  Anyone doing IP Multipathing on their enterprise servers?
> Question 2:  Will IPMP give me more throughput on WAN links connected with T1's?
> Paul

Q1:  Yes.  I support hundreds of enterprise servers running IPMP.
Q2:  No.   Considering a T1 runs at 1.5 megs, a 10 meg NIC will not be
the bottleneck.

Mark

 
 
 

Solaris 8 IP Multipathing

Post by Pau » Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:21:58




> > Question 1:  Anyone doing IP Multipathing on their enterprise servers?
> > Question 2:  Will IPMP give me more throughput on WAN links connected with T1's?
> > Paul

> Q1:  Yes.  I support hundreds of enterprise servers running IPMP.
> Q2:  No.   Considering a T1 runs at 1.5 megs, a 10 meg NIC will not be
> the bottleneck.

> Mark

Awesome, this helps me.  Although I think I may have alluded to the
wrong problem, :)  The T1 is not the problem, my interfaces are
saturated.  Based on Barbie's response, IP Mutlipathing will only help
outgoing traffic but incoming traffic will still enter through one
interface?  I have done a little reading on Sun Trunking and
understand it is available on only the higher end Enterprise Sun
servers.  Basically I have CPU usage to spare.  If I can get more
transactions to the server, it would increase performance in our
environment.  Thanks again!

Paul

 
 
 

Solaris 8 IP Multipathing

Post by James Carlso » Mon, 12 Apr 2004 03:28:51



> Awesome, this helps me.  Although I think I may have alluded to the
> wrong problem, :)  The T1 is not the problem, my interfaces are
> saturated.  Based on Barbie's response, IP Mutlipathing will only help
> outgoing traffic but incoming traffic will still enter through one
> interface?

IPMP attempts to cause inbound load spreading by using different
source addresses (if available) for different connections initiated
over the group.

For connections initiated from outside of the box (inbound TCP
connections, for instance), you'll need to set up multiple addresses
for your server (i.e., one name that maps to multiple A records in
DNS) and make sure that the clients use the available addresses.

Quote:>  I have done a little reading on Sun Trunking and
> understand it is available on only the higher end Enterprise Sun
> servers.  Basically I have CPU usage to spare.  If I can get more
> transactions to the server, it would increase performance in our
> environment.  Thanks again!

Sun Trunking is only available on some of the interfaces (qfe and ce,
if I remember correctly) -- it shouldn't be limited to particular
kinds of servers, but rather particular kinds of interfaces.

There are several Blue Prints and other documents available on these
topics; you might want to search docs.sun.com.

--

Sun Microsystems / 1 Network Drive         71.234W   Vox +1 781 442 2084
MS UBUR02-212 / Burlington MA 01803-2757   42.497N   Fax +1 781 442 1677

 
 
 

1. Anyone experience with Solaris 8 IP multipathing?

Hi

I have to setup an E10000 domain for an important project. Network
attachment is configured with two qfe cards. I've played around with
in.mpathd, and it seems to work. If i unplug the cable on one qfe, all
adresses switch to the other card.
But my company never used this stuff on a production (neither a test)
system, and i would like to know if anyone has used this feature on a
server under heavy load and if there where any problems.

Regards

Chris

2. boot disk hangs HELP!!

3. Solaris 10 IP Multipathing

4. Samba as a File Server on a Windows Network

5. IP Multipathing - Etherchannel - Solaris 2.7 - Dual NIC - SIngle IP

6. Crontab and Linux security.......

7. solaris 10 ipfilter and ip multipath

8. sound blaster

9. IP Multipathing in Solaris 8

10. md/multipath: Multipath, Multiport support and prototype patch for round robin routing

11. IP Multipathing Problem (cannot failover interfaces)

12. IP MultiPathing on Solaris8

13. IP Multipathing: Always trys to use default router address for test