Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Fri, 11 Jan 2002 09:59:19

Quote:>Sun says (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/53/23598.html) that they
>will support Solaris 8 on intel for the next 7 years, but won't offer
>Solaris 9

really?  hmm.  there are a goodly number of systems and motherboards listed
on the hcl for 9.0/x86.  perhaps it's time for me to grab a copy of early
access.

--
okay, have a sig then

Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!

Post by Alberto da Silv » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 04:05:13

Since it costs so much to develop an OS,
the next logical step is for Sun to stop development of Solaris for SPARC
and use Linux on SPARC.

Alberto

Post by Alan Coopersmi » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 06:51:02

|Since it costs so much to develop an OS,
|the next logical step is for Sun to stop development of Solaris for SPARC
|and use Linux on SPARC.

That would be hardly logical - it would cost far more to bring Linux up
to where Solaris is, and make it compatibile enough for existing
customers to migrate their appliations, than just sticking with Solaris.
Millions of dollars and several years just to get back to where they are
today hardly seems worth it.

Solaris on Intel: Going, going - Gone!

Post by Akop Pogosia » Sat, 12 Jan 2002 08:23:53

Quote:> Since it costs so much to develop an OS,
> the next logical step is for Sun to stop development of Solaris for SPARC
> and use Linux on SPARC.
> Alberto

You're missing the point. Solaris for SPARC helps Sun sell expensive
hardware as well as software and hardware support contracts. Without
Solaris, Sun hardware is useless to enterprise customers. (By the way,
Compaq tried to go this route, promoting Linux instead of their own OS
on Alpha and they apparently have failed.)

Solaris/x86, on the other hand, does not generate anywhere as much
revenue. I don't know the numbers but it is quiet possible that it was
not generating enough income to justify its own R&D costs and may be
this is why Sun decided to stop developing it.

Yes, x86 port could have exposed more people to Solaris overall but I
doubt this is very relevant today. How many new users convert to
Solaris/x86 these days? There is a bunch of freely available unix-like
operating systems with excellent software and hardware support. People
have less and less reasons (if any) to install Solaris/x86 as opposed
to Linux or FreeBSD. Yes, SMP support is better, some OS features are
superior too but overall hardware support is abysmal. Because of the
tiny user base, more and more vendors are dropping Solaris/x86 ports
of their software (as if there were that many ..)

Of all commercial unix operating systems, I still think Solaris will
be the most exposed to the masses even without the x86 port because
Solaris for SPARC can still be downloaded for free or purchased for a
small fee, used Sun systems are very affordable and Sun also sells the
Blade100.

-akop

Post by Doug Freyubrg » Sun, 13 Jan 2002 04:34:12

> Alberto da Silva writes:

> |Since it costs so much to develop an OS,
> |the next logical step is for Sun to stop development of Solaris for SPARC
> |and use Linux on SPARC.

> That would be hardly logical - it would cost far more to bring Linux up
> to where Solaris is, and make it compatibile enough for existing
> customers to migrate their appliations, than just sticking with Solaris.
> Millions of dollars and several years just to get back to where they are
> today hardly seems worth it.

Logical or not, Sun did the exact same thing once before.  They switched from
BSD/SunOS to SysV/Solaris, and it took several years to recover.  They came out
stronger several years later, though.

The argument against switching to Linux is the same and the argument against
Compaq's supporting Linux, though.  Linux encourages the sale of Dell, Acer
and many other commodity hardware vendors every bit as much as it encourages the
purchase of Compaq commodity hardware.  Solaris would stop supporting Sun
hardware, and that would be a very bad long term move for business reasons not
technical ones.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Wed, 16 Jan 2002 09:22:57

> Since it costs so much to develop an OS,
> the next logical step is for Sun to stop development of Solaris for SPARC
> and use Linux on SPARC.

        Bwwaaahhhh!!  ROTFLOLASTD!!! You're too funny, Al.  Thanks for the joke!

                        Don

***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.
* Baltimore, MD       *      Dying ain't much of a living, boy.
***********************             "Outlaw Josey Wales"