telnet question

Post by Jose Reye » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 04:53:22

I am running Solaris 5.7 on a machine and suddenly I am not able to
telnet or rlogin into it. I can still ftp fine but when I try to telnet
I get this

Trying I.P. adress ...
Connected to sunbox.
Escape character is '^]'.

But I never get a login prompt.

When I try to rlogin it just hangs, I get no prompt of any kind.

Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? This happens no matter
which port I try to telnet into.  Any suggestions or ideas would be
greatly appreciated.

Jose

telnet question

Post by Richard S. Huntrod » Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:16:15

Jose,

Put the IP address and name of the client machine (where you are connecting
from) in the /etc/hosts file on the server (where you want to connect).  It
is a rather common problem.  I just finished solving it myself, and it
works.  I am surprised that you could still use ftp - usually telnet/ftp
and xdmcp all go "down" together.

-Richard

> I am running Solaris 5.7 on a machine and suddenly I am not able to
> telnet or rlogin into it. I can still ftp fine but when I try to telnet
> I get this

> Trying I.P. adress ...
> Connected to sunbox.
> Escape character is '^]'.

> But I never get a login prompt.

> When I try to rlogin it just hangs, I get no prompt of any kind.

> Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? This happens no matter
> which port I try to telnet into.  Any suggestions or ideas would be
> greatly appreciated.

> Jose

telnet question

Post by Paul Flo » Sat, 16 Mar 2002 06:07:28

>I am running Solaris 5.7 on a machine and suddenly I am not able to
>telnet or rlogin into it. I can still ftp fine but when I try to telnet
>I get this

>Trying I.P. adress ...
>Connected to sunbox.
>Escape character is '^]'.

>But I never get a login prompt.

>When I try to rlogin it just hangs, I get no prompt of any kind.

>Has anyone ever experienced anything like this? This happens no matter
>which port I try to telnet into.  Any suggestions or ideas would be
>greatly appreciated.

If this connection is out to the wild internet, then you'd be better off
using ssh. Otherwise, it looks like the behaviour of a firewall. Your
connection request arrives, and is promptly discarded. The telnet client
just sits there waiting for a reply, perhaps occasionally retrying. That
might go on for a considerable length of time before the telnet client
chucks in the towel.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)

What happens if you have lead in your pants as well as lead in your pencil?