Parallel port off the shelf Zip-100 on an Ultra 5

Parallel port off the shelf Zip-100 on an Ultra 5

Post by Serafim Dah » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:44:52

I run an Ultra 5, Solaris 8 macine in an AFS networked environment
and I have an off the shelf Zip-100 designed for a PC parallel port.
Can I just attach it to the Ultra 5 parallel port and hope that it
works? If not, can I make it work in any manner?

/Serafim

Post by Alan Coopersmit » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 09:13:17

|#   I run an Ultra 5, Solaris 8 macine in an AFS networked environment
|
|Do you have AFS running on a Solaris boxen?
|If so, where did you get it from?
|Where is documentation on AFS?

Try www.transarc.com - they sold AFS for Solaris (and several other
OS'es) last I heard.

Post by serafi » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 17:18:53

> #   I run an Ultra 5, Solaris 8 macine in an AFS networked environment

> Do you have AFS running on a Solaris boxen?

> If so, where did you get it from?

> Where is documentation on AFS?

I work at the Royal Institute of Technology in Stockholm and,
as far as I can remember we have been running AFS for
some six (?) years. That's all I know. Problems the first time
but smooth and nice nowadays (very compentent systems group).

/Serafim

Post by serafi » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:37:27

> I run an Ultra 5, Solaris 8 macine in an AFS networked environment
> and I have an off the shelf Zip-100 designed for a PC parallel port.
> Can I just attach it to the Ultra 5 parallel port and hope that it
> works? If not, can I make it work in any manner?

In the response to my original posting there is no answer to
my question. Please help me out. Did any one try to just connect
a parallel port Zip-100 drive to the parallel port of a
SUN-Ultra-5? Is it feasible? If not is there any Zip drive that
may be externally or internally connected to the Ultra-5
and work without much ado? I can lay my hands on an internal
USB version to.

/Serafim

Post by Kent Wormsdor » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 05:49:19

> > I run an Ultra 5, Solaris 8 macine in an AFS networked environment
> > and I have an off the shelf Zip-100 designed for a PC parallel port.
> > Can I just attach it to the Ultra 5 parallel port and hope that it
> > works? If not, can I make it work in any manner?

> In the response to my original posting there is no answer to
> my question. Please help me out. Did any one try to just connect
> a parallel port Zip-100 drive to the parallel port of a
> SUN-Ultra-5? Is it feasible? If not is there any Zip drive that
> may be externally or internally connected to the Ultra-5
> and work without much ado? I can lay my hands on an internal
> USB version to.

> /Serafim

Hi

I don't think You ever will get a parallel port Zip-100 drive up and
running on a Sun Ultra 5 or any other Sun for that matter.
There is no internal USB version of the Zip-drive, use the internal IDE
instead. A SCSI or IDE (internal) should run very fine.
I have a USB Zip running on my Sun Blade 100.

Kent

Post by Serafim Dah » Sun, 26 Aug 2001 11:27:58

> > > I run an Ultra 5, Solaris 8 macine in an AFS networked environment
> > > and I have an off the shelf Zip-100 designed for a PC parallel port.
> > > Can I just attach it to the Ultra 5 parallel port and hope that it
> > > works? If not, can I make it work in any manner?

> > In the response to my original posting there is no answer to
> > my question. Please help me out. Did any one try to just connect
> > a parallel port Zip-100 drive to the parallel port of a
> > SUN-Ultra-5? Is it feasible? If not is there any Zip drive that
> > may be externally or internally connected to the Ultra-5
> > and work without much ado? I can lay my hands on an internal
> > USB version to.

> > /Serafim
> Hi

> I don't think You ever will get a parallel port Zip-100 drive up and
> running on a Sun Ultra 5 or any other Sun for that matter.
> There is no internal USB version of the Zip-drive, use the internal IDE
> instead. A SCSI or IDE (internal) should run very fine.
> I have a USB Zip running on my Sun Blade 100.

Thanks, I never considered my old IDE-internal Zip drive from my old
disassembled PC. It will come to some use now.

/Serafim

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 00:48:42

> I run an Ultra 5, Solaris 8 macine in an AFS networked environment
> and I have an off the shelf Zip-100 designed for a PC parallel port.
> Can I just attach it to the Ultra 5 parallel port and hope that it
> works? If not, can I make it work in any manner?

They didn't bother answering your question, did they?

No, a parallel port Zip drive will not work on an Ultra 5. Parallel port
devices are proprietary, and the manufacturer of the devices are responsible
for choosing which operating systems to support. Iomega chose not to support
Solaris SPARC.

Post by serafi » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:10:54

> No, a parallel port Zip drive will not work on an Ultra 5. Parallel port
> devices are proprietary, and the manufacturer of the devices are responsible
> for choosing which operating systems to support. Iomega chose not to support
> Solaris SPARC.

Thank you! Kent Wormsdorf indicated that there would be no way.

I actually manage to make the SUN OS notice that there is something
on the parallel port. I manage to make the Zip drive give some respons
but I don't manage to make it work fully (yet).

I may be a hack or two away, but life is short and I have an old
internal IDE Zip lying around (from the slaughter of an old PC)
and a USB one as well, so I'll abandon my project and use the IDE unit.

/Serafim

Post by Mathew Kirsc » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 21:57:35

> Thank you! Kent Wormsdorf indicated that there would be no way.

There is always a way.

Quote:> I actually manage to make the SUN OS notice that there is something
> on the parallel port. I manage to make the Zip drive give some respons
> but I don't manage to make it work fully (yet).

Linux has a driver for the parallel Zip drive. While it most likely can't be
ported directly over, the programming data is available...

Quote:> I may be a hack or two away, but life is short and I have an old
> internal IDE Zip lying around (from the slaughter of an old PC)
> and a USB one as well, so I'll abandon my project and use the IDE unit.

Cool.