Using HP DAT24e DDS3 Drive with Sun Workstation

Using HP DAT24e DDS3 Drive with Sun Workstation

Post by X Da » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 08:29:43

Hi, everyone, I have a HP DAT24e DDS3 external drive used with my HP
workstation, now I wish to pull it over to use with a Sun workstation,
but since this drive doesn't have the configuration switch at the
bottom like the other ones have, Sun worksation wouldn't recognize its
scsi configuration. How can I change this on the tape drive so i can
use it with my ultra 60? thank you very much in advance.

Simon

Post by Griff Mille » Fri, 19 Apr 2002 04:42:18

> Hi, everyone, I have a HP DAT24e DDS3 external drive used with my HP
> workstation, now I wish to pull it over to use with a Sun workstation,
> but since this drive doesn't have the configuration switch at the
> bottom like the other ones have, Sun worksation wouldn't recognize its
> scsi configuration. How can I change this on the tape drive so i can
> use it with my ultra 60? thank you very much in advance.

> Simon

Set it to SCSI ID 4 or 5 (actually, any unused ID should work, but 4 and
5 have historical meaning on Suns) .  Then take it apart and set the DIP
switches to 11001100 (where 1=on and 0=off) .  Put it all back together again,
do a boot -r from the ok prompt, and once the machine is up you should
be able to reference the drive as /dev/rmt/0 .

For example: ufsdump 0f /dev/rmt/0 /bigfilesystem

--
Griff Miller II                   | Why, I think I've got the hang of it now! |
Manager of Information Technology | :w :q :wq :wq! ^d X exit :quitbye :!QUIT! |

1. Q. Does the Sun Ulta 450 's tape drive an HP DDS3 support high density ?

Hello,

Does the HP DDS-3 tape drive that comes with a Sun Ultra 450 support
reading & writing to high density tapes - if so, any information on
how I would go about configuring it to do so would be greatly
appreciated.

  Machine:  Sun Ultra 450
  OS:       SunOS yebisu 5.6 Generic_105181-21 sun4u sparc
SUNW,Ultra-4
  Tape:     HP DDS-3 4MM DAT tape drive:

Thanks in advance.

J.

2. Mail by term.

3. HP SureStore DAT24e Drive

4. slocal woes - please help

5. Using Zip drive on Sun workstation?

6. 2GB limit on file size

7. using the Sun workstation disk drive

8. NIS+ and Jumpstart

9. HP DDS3 DAT drive + Redhat 5.1 Linux + dump

10. Sun DDS3 tape drive question. . .

11. Sun DDS3 Tape drive

12. HP DDS3 DAT drive + Redhat 5.1 Linux + dump

13. *** Anyone using HP SureStore DDS3 Autoloader ***