How close are Solaris x86 and Solaris Sparc versions?

How close are Solaris x86 and Solaris Sparc versions?

Post by Michael Farac » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I am getting ready to buy Solaris x86 2.5.1 Desktop, but would like some
feedback first.

My goal is that since I don't have an extra Sparc to test with, I could
setup Solaris x86 2.5.1 to learn the differences between SunOS 4.1.3
and  Solaris x86 from an Administrative standpoint.

Things I want to test are DNS, NIS/NIS +, NFS Client/Server mounts,
UUCP, PPP, sendmail configs, using Solaris as a router, and things of
this nature.  I know SunOS 4.1.3 very well, and have done most of the
above on it, but need the practice on Solaris.

So will Solaris x86 2.5.1 do the trick, or should I go buy a used Sparc
1+ with lots of 30 pins simms and put Solaris on that?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated!

Michael Farace
Edge Information Systems
(408) 433-4453

How close are Solaris x86 and Solaris Sparc versions?

Post by Norm You » Thu, 01 Aug 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I am getting ready to buy Solaris x86 2.5.1 Desktop, but would like some
>feedback first.

>My goal is that since I don't have an extra Sparc to test with, I could
>setup Solaris x86 2.5.1 to learn the differences between SunOS 4.1.3
>and  Solaris x86 from an Administrative standpoint.

>Things I want to test are DNS, NIS/NIS +, NFS Client/Server mounts,
>UUCP, PPP, sendmail configs, using Solaris as a router, and things of
>this nature.  I know SunOS 4.1.3 very well, and have done most of the
>above on it, but need the practice on Solaris.

>So will Solaris x86 2.5.1 do the trick, or should I go buy a used Sparc
>1+ with lots of 30 pins simms and put Solaris on that?

I work daily on both x86 and SPARC machines running Solaris 2.5.
If I don't look in /devices I can't tell which type of machine
I'm on.  As far as I can tell all the administrative tools and
procedures are identical with the exception of hardware related
activities such as partitioning/slicing disks, configuring video
device support etc.

--

Communications   |  Tel: 1-613-990-8779  |  Fax: 1-613-990-7987
Research Centre  |

How close are Solaris x86 and Solaris Sparc versions?

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Fri, 02 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>I am getting ready to buy Solaris x86 2.5.1 Desktop, but would like some
>feedback first.
>My goal is that since I don't have an extra Sparc to test with, I could
>setup Solaris x86 2.5.1 to learn the differences between SunOS 4.1.3
>and  Solaris x86 from an Administrative standpoint.
>Things I want to test are DNS, NIS/NIS +, NFS Client/Server mounts,
>UUCP, PPP, sendmail configs, using Solaris as a router, and things of
>this nature.  I know SunOS 4.1.3 very well, and have done most of the
>above on it, but need the practice on Solaris.
>So will Solaris x86 2.5.1 do the trick, or should I go buy a used Sparc
>1+ with lots of 30 pins simms and put Solaris on that?

Running 2.5.1 on an x86bwill do the trick.

The main differences between x86 Solaris and SPARC Solaris are in
how booting works and the FDISK partitioning.

Once you're up and running, everything is the same, though the different
x86 peripherals may make setting up PPP & UUCP slightly different.

Solaris SPARC and Solaris x86 are build from the same source code and
have the same bugs and features.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

1. Evaluation pointers: x86-Solaris vs x86-NT vs SPARC-Solaris

We are trying to come up with a division-wide standard for workstations
(a mix of engineering applications as well as office-productivity apps).
We realize that we will always need high-end UNIX workstations for
visualization, CFD, CAE, etc....this standard is for the middle-of-the
road requirements.  The choice has boiled down to that specified in
the subject line.

Can anybody point me to web pages, ftp-sites, etc where I can find
info  (honest-to-god evaluations, opinions, reports, benchmark results)
on the above subject?

If you have experiences (maybe opinions as well) please let me know.  This
has the potential of quickly degenerating into a long UNIX-machine vs PC
battle (I'm a long time Sun fan)....BUT I'D LIKE TO FOCUS ON ISSUES LIKE
performance, capability, drawbacks, cost. etc.

Thanks,
Shash

| (817) 763-1495               Electronic Systems Design and Integration   |
| (817) 777-2115 (FAX)         Lockheed Martin Tactical Aircraft Systems   |
|                              Lockheed Martin Boulevard, MZ 2273          |
|                              Fort Worth, TX 76108                        |

2. Aliases question in sendmail.

3. Benchmarks x86 Solaris vs Linux and Solaris 2.6 x86 vs sparc

4. Fujitsu Siemens Primepower

5. "who am i" on x86 vs Sparc Solaris 2.4

6. DOSEMU 0.52 compile question/problem

7. x86 Solaris vs Sparc Solaris

8. Moving maps for... AIX! Please help testing

9. PPP on Solaris 2.4 for Sparc, Matrox PCI Millenium Card under Solaris 2.5 x86

10. moving from SPARC solaris 2.3 to x86 solaris 2.4

11. * Is Solaris x86 binaries compatabe with Solaris for Sparc ?

12. Cross Compiler for Solaris 10 x86 on Solaris 8 Sparc.

13. Unix FS on diskette across Sparc Solaris and X86 Solaris machine?