How to syncronize a Sparc 20 with Network Time Protocol ?

How to syncronize a Sparc 20 with Network Time Protocol ?

Post by Gilles Cell » Fri, 25 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

Can anyone help:

I have to syncronize a SparcStation 20 (Solaris 2.4) with
a time signal (Universal Time). I hear about a solution by
syncing it with an Network Time Protocol Server, but don't
have any idea how to do that (cron command or what ?)

Or is there another solution for syncronizing a Sparcstation
with time protocols ?

Help and Suggestions greatly appreciated.
Please post here or email me.............

Thank you

--- ECGS -European Center for Geodynamics and Seismology    ----
--- Rue Josy Welter 19          L-7256 Walferdange, Luxbg.  ----
--- tel   : +352 336130         fax   : +352 336129         ----

Post by R. Stewart Ell » Tue, 29 Apr 1997 04:00:00

 >Hello,

 >Can anyone help:

 >I have to syncronize a SparcStation 20 (Solaris 2.4) with
 >a time signal (Universal Time). I hear about a solution by
 >syncing it with an Network Time Protocol Server, but don't
 >have any idea how to do that (cron command or what ?)

 >Or is there another solution for syncronizing a Sparcstation
 >with time protocols ?

There is also rdate that comes with Solaris.  I use it to sync one host to
the naval observatory in the US, then sync others in the net to the master
local host.  Here is the line in the crontab from the local master host:

1 2 * * * /bin/rdate tock.usno.navy.mil > /dev/null 2>&1

There may be other servers around the world.  A useful URL for dealing with
time issues is http://tycho.usno.navy.mil/

--
  R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765   ___________________
  Humanities & Social Science,  GMI Eng.& Mgmt.Inst. ()  /   _____  ______

Post by David Thexto » Wed, 30 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> There is also rdate that comes with Solaris.  I use it to sync one
> host to the naval observatory in the US, then sync others in the net
> to the master local host.  Here is the line in the crontab from the
> local master host:

> 1 2 * * * /bin/rdate tock.usno.navy.mil > /dev/null 2>&1

I used NTP until I saw a similar suggestion.  "rdate" is a lot easier
and a lot less hassle than anything else I've seen...

Post by Matthew Stie » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

> > There is also rdate that comes with Solaris.  I use it to sync one
> > host to the naval observatory in the US, then sync others in the net
> > to the master local host.  Here is the line in the crontab from the
> > local master host:

> > 1 2 * * * /bin/rdate tock.usno.navy.mil > /dev/null 2>&1

> I used NTP until I saw a similar suggestion.  "rdate" is a lot easier
> and a lot less hassle than anything else I've seen...

It just has three faults.

1) It jumps the date. No grandular adjustments.

2) It can set time backwards

3) No sanity checks.  If there is a problem, you could be resetting your
clock by years.

--
Matthew Lee Stier                    *  Fujitsu Network Communications
Unix Systems Administrator           |  Two Blue Hill Plaza

1. How to syncronize a Sparc 20 (Solaris 2.4) to a Network Time Protocol Server ?

Hello,
Please can anyone help:

I want to syncronize our SparcStation 20 (Solaris 2.4) by time with
that we have always the right,syncronized Universal Time.
I heard about Network Time Protocol Servers out there, and that
you can then do a cron command.

But I really don't know how exactly how this will or can be done.
Or are there any other suggestions for this question ??

Help and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Please email-me or post to: comp.unix.solaris.

Thank you,

--- ECGS -European Center for Geodynamics and Seismology    ----
--- Rue Josy Welter 19          L-7256 Walferdange, Luxbg.  ----
--- tel   : +352 336130         fax   : +352 336129         ----

2. IRDP (router discovery protocol) on SCO ODT

3. How does "Time Synch Protocol" relate to "Network Time Protocol"?

4. Unknown tape : Tallgrass T1500

5. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

6. Can someone pls clarify/explain robots.txt accesses

7. IP Service 'ntp' (number 123 - Network Time Protocol) for SPARC Solaris 2.4?

8. Enterprise 450 down "Drive Not Ready"

9. sparc 20 workstation time

10. SPARC 20 freezes when network connected.

11. SPARC 20 Networked to Windows95

12. ufsdump over network hungs Sparc 20

13. Lilo: L 20 20 20 20