Networking Problems

Post by JBone » Fri, 10 Oct 2003 10:53:50

I'm trying to add a Sparc 20 running Solaris 8 to my home network by
connecting to a D-Link DI-604 router.  With the Ethernet cable connected,
the router's LED doesn't light up recognizing the Sparc.  I'm confident I
properly configured /etc/hosts and /etc/nodename.  I don't know much about
the computer and am unsure what type of Ethernet card I have and whether
it's 10 MBps or 100 MBps (the router supports both).  I'm totally confused
about the /etc/hostname.XXX file and if it should end in .le0 or .hme0 or
even something else.  Since the router doesn't even recognize the Sparc,
could it be the Ethernet card isn't configured at all?  If so, what should
be my next steps?  I apologize if these are novice questions, but any help
is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-JB

Networking Problems

Post by ger.. » Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:16:59

Quote:> I'm trying to add a Sparc 20 running Solaris 8 to my home network by
> connecting to a D-Link DI-604 router.  With the Ethernet cable connected,
> the router's LED doesn't light up recognizing the Sparc.  I'm confident I
> properly configured /etc/hosts and /etc/nodename.  I don't know much about
> the computer and am unsure what type of Ethernet card I have and whether
> it's 10 MBps or 100 MBps (the router supports both).

Whats in /etc/hosts and /etc/nodename?
Do you have an /etc/defaultrouter file?
You may need to run sys-unconfig..

Quote:> I'm totally confused
> about the /etc/hostname.XXX file and if it should end in .le0 or .hme0 or
> even something else.

No need to be confused. SS20 comes with le0...
During boot you should see:
configuring IPv4 interfaces: le0.
or perhaps IPv6 - I dont use that on my SS20
Anyway THATs when the link light should turn on.

Quote:> Since the router doesn't even recognize the Sparc,
> could it be the Ethernet card isn't configured at all?

Maybe. The le0 can be a strange beast with some "routers"
or "switches" especially the < 100$ ones : >
My DLink switch weirds out when I do a jumpstart on my SS20
but otherwise is fine.

Quote:>  If so, what should
> be my next steps?  I apologize if these are novice questions, but any help
> is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

ifconfig -a
What does that say?

Networking Problems

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 11 Oct 2003 01:29:05

> No need to be confused. SS20 comes with le0...

10Mb/s, half-duplex only.  I hope the switch isn't being "forced" to
some particular setting.

Quote:> During boot you should see:
> configuring IPv4 interfaces: le0.
> or perhaps IPv6 - I dont use that on my SS20
> Anyway THATs when the link light should turn on.

No, that's just when the IP interface to the card is connected.  The
card itself should be active (with link light) shortly after power-on.

He could do a 'watch-net' from the OBP to eliminate any question of the
OS causing problems.

Networking Problems

Post by JBone » Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:59:43

/etc/hosts:
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.0.101 neptune loghost
192.168.0.100 mercury
192.168.0.1 dlink

/etc/nodename:
neptune

/etc/defaultrouter:
192.168.0.1

I did this along with "ifconfig le0 plumb" with no luck.  When I first
installed, I did so with "no network" selected.  It still checked out le0
and hme0.  Any ideas?

> > I'm trying to add a Sparc 20 running Solaris 8 to my home network by
> > connecting to a D-Link DI-604 router.  With the Ethernet cable
connected,
> > the router's LED doesn't light up recognizing the Sparc.  I'm confident
> > properly configured /etc/hosts and /etc/nodename.  I don't know much
about
> > the computer and am unsure what type of Ethernet card I have and whether
> > it's 10 MBps or 100 MBps (the router supports both).

> Whats in /etc/hosts and /etc/nodename?
> Do you have an /etc/defaultrouter file?
> You may need to run sys-unconfig..

> > I'm totally confused
> > about the /etc/hostname.XXX file and if it should end in .le0 or .hme0
or
> > even something else.

> No need to be confused. SS20 comes with le0...
> During boot you should see:
> configuring IPv4 interfaces: le0.
> or perhaps IPv6 - I dont use that on my SS20
> Anyway THATs when the link light should turn on.

> > Since the router doesn't even recognize the Sparc,
> > could it be the Ethernet card isn't configured at all?

> Maybe. The le0 can be a strange beast with some "routers"
> or "switches" especially the < 100$ ones : >
> My DLink switch weirds out when I do a jumpstart on my SS20
> but otherwise is fine.

> >  If so, what should
> > be my next steps?  I apologize if these are novice questions, but any
help
> > is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

> ifconfig -a
> What does that say?

Networking Problems

Post by ger.. » Sun, 12 Oct 2003 00:12:19

Quote:> /etc/hosts:
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 192.168.0.101 neptune loghost
> 192.168.0.100 mercury
> 192.168.0.1 dlink

> /etc/nodename:
> neptune

> /etc/defaultrouter:
> 192.168.0.1

All OK

Quote:> I did this along with "ifconfig le0 plumb" with no luck.  When I first
> installed, I did so with "no network" selected.

                            ^^^^^^^^^^

Quote:>  It still checked out le0
> and hme0.  Any ideas?

re-install with basic networking at the very least?
I've never installed a "no network" machine. No idea what
kind of state the thing would be in. Dont want to know : >

Networking Problems

Post by JBone » Sun, 12 Oct 2003 09:45:09

I called sys-uncofig and re-did everything.  Turns out I have a 100 Mbps
card on hme0.  Configured the DNS and everything works great.  Can't believe
surfing the web on a 50 mhz machine isn't bad at all with the cable modem.
Thanks for the help.

> > /etc/hosts:
> > 127.0.0.1 localhost
> > 192.168.0.101 neptune loghost
> > 192.168.0.100 mercury
> > 192.168.0.1 dlink

> > /etc/nodename:
> > neptune

> > /etc/defaultrouter:
> > 192.168.0.1

> All OK

> > I did this along with "ifconfig le0 plumb" with no luck.  When I first
> > installed, I did so with "no network" selected.
>                             ^^^^^^^^^^
> >  It still checked out le0
> > and hme0.  Any ideas?

> re-install with basic networking at the very least?
> I've never installed a "no network" machine. No idea what
> kind of state the thing would be in. Dont want to know : >

1. Network problems with 3c595 on 100T network (detailed)

Hi,
        I have a networking problem which I have not managed to solve after
reading the relevant HOTWO files. Any help will be appreciated.

Setup:
  Intel Pentium Pro with 3Com 595 100Tx card connected to 100T network.

  The machine has WIN/NT installed and manages to access the network.

Software:
  - I have installed Slackware 3.1 (from InfoMagic CDROM)
  - run "netconfig" with appropriate parameters (double checked)

Symptoms:

  - Kernel recognizes right device
  - No error messages at boot time

  - ifconfig shows the device setup, but shows 0 on all TX and RX counts,
    including errors counts.
  - same for /proc/net/dev

  - routing table seems ok (as far as I understand these things)

Yet, I can't run a single network application.

ping to my gateway just hang. When I press ^c, it reports "NN packets sent, 100% packet loss".

I tried to ping the machine from another machine, and again no
communications.

The interesting thing is that "ifconfig" keeps insisting that nothing was sent
 nor transmitted.

The only thing that I can think of is that the device parameters are not set
right. In particular "ifconfig" reports:

eth0  Link encap: 10MBps Ethernet ...

when the net should 100MBps.

Can this be the problem? If so, how do I set the right mode for the device?

Thanks,

-Nir

2. Compilation error in make buildworld

3. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

4. How to avoid to show operating system information during telnet and ftp logins

5. Curious Networking problem: Installed via FTP but now the Network won't start.

6. SQUID Error Messages

7. Network problem, can't ping other machines on same network

8. ATI XPert 128 PCI & Viewsonic Q71-6

9. Network problem: SIOCADDT: Network is unreachable

10. network problem - local network setup

11. Network problem on SLS .99pl12 (Network is unreachable)

12. Strange network problem (network suddenly stops working) - partial solution

13. Networking problem in Linux, but no problem in Windows on same hardware