Solaris 2.3 xmkmf configuration

Post by Erik Wil » Fri, 06 May 1994 00:05:49

Hi there,
I have a question which must have been answered at may sites already. However,
I'm still looking for the answer, so please send me your favourite solution to
the following problem.

xmkmf is used to generate makefiles for x software based on an existing
installation of x

solaris 2.3 contains xmkmf (and imake, which is invoked by xmkmf)

i have an /opt software tree (/opt/bin, /opt/lib, /opt/man, /opt/include, ...)
which should be used as installation target for all x clients i install

how should i setup /usr/openwin/lib/config/site.def to use the /usr/openwin x
installation but to write *only* into /opt directories?

Thanks for any help,

  Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zuerich)
  Computer Engineering and Networks Laboratory  (TIK)
    ETZ G61.2, ETH-Zentrum, CH - 8092 Zuerich
    Phone: +41-1-6327009   Fax: +41-1-6321035

Solaris 2.3 xmkmf configuration

Post by Richard Mau » Tue, 10 May 1994 11:22:18

Quote:>how should i setup /usr/openwin/lib/config/site.def to use
>the /usr/openwin x installation but to write *only* into /opt directories?

You should not have to change site.def. What I think you are asking is
if there is an imake macro (see Imake.rules) that allows you to install
into the directory of choice.
I don't have the imake config files in front of me,
but I'm sure there is such a rule. The problem is, is that any given
Imakefile may use whatever rules it chooses.
It is simple, if the Imakefile author is doing things right,
to change the install rule or better yet change a parameter
the existing rule uses. I wish I could be more specific.
The Imake from O'Reilly will really help you out too.

I understand that packages installed in /opt have a special format
that requires them to be properly configured an installed for the system
(pkgxxx utilities) to know about what has been added. If you put things
in /opt be aware of this. It is not hard to build formal packages.
However, since most of the pd stuff off the net does not speak solaris
packages, you probably just sacrifice this benefit for the win of
putting things in a centralized place like /opt.

Maybe what we all need is a set of Imake rules. maybe something like
Solaris2.rules that supports building packages and installing them.
Of course, people shipping Imakefile's want portability beyond Solaris2
so they might shy away from this.  Just a thought.

Rich Mauri

Solaris 2.3 xmkmf configuration

Post by Richard Mau » Tue, 10 May 1994 11:48:38

I need an answerbook for sysadmin operations under the Early Access
Solaris 2.3.2 (x86).

I have a solaris 2.1 x86 system answerbook that won't fly with this
new release and the cd's that came with the developer conference only
contain answerbooks for SDK,DDK,User Answerbook. I have installed
this release using the complete installation with the medium weight
answerbook options. I wanted answerbook on PPP and UUCP, but can't
find it. I know it exists for earlier official  releases.
SunSoft says what I have is all there is. Am I missing something.
Does anyone with the developer conference edition have such an
answerbook. I wish there was a mother of all answerbooks, but I hear
there is no such thing. I wonder what that 2.1 system answerbook had
that I'm guessing I'm missing.

Thanks.

Rich Mauri

Solaris 2.3 xmkmf configuration

Post by Richard Mau » Tue, 10 May 1994 11:52:17

I think I discovered a bug in the admintool's serial port manager on
the early access 2.3.2 for x86. I get GUI errors about
"The ad_modem could not set value in the eeprom for carier detect..."
Looks like a relic from a sparcstation "merged set of sources".

Rich Mauri

Post by Casper H.S. D » Tue, 10 May 1994 17:29:15

>I need an answerbook for sysadmin operations under the Early Access
>Solaris 2.3.2 (x86).
>I have a solaris 2.1 x86 system answerbook that won't fly with this
>new release and the cd's that came with the developer conference only
>contain answerbooks for SDK,DDK,User Answerbook. I have installed
>this release using the complete installation with the medium weight
>answerbook options. I wanted answerbook on PPP and UUCP, but can't
>find it. I know it exists for earlier official  releases.
>SunSoft says what I have is all there is. Am I missing something.
>Does anyone with the developer conference edition have such an
>answerbook. I wish there was a mother of all answerbooks, but I hear
>there is no such thing. I wonder what that 2.1 system answerbook had
>that I'm guessing I'm missing.

There's the ``System administrators'' answerbook.
Which is what you seem to be missing.

Solaris 2.3 has four parts/CDs:  Solaris 2.3 (includes End User AB)
The Sysadm answerbook, the SDK (including developer abs) and the DDK
(including stuff about device drivers).

I believe you must be able to view the 2.1 answerbooks, but you'll
need to convert them with ab_admin.  But there's no PPP in that answerbook,
as PPP was introduced in 2.3/SPARC.

Casper