C++ Visual Workshop 5.0 vs. gcc 2.9x - opinions wanted

C++ Visual Workshop 5.0 vs. gcc 2.9x - opinions wanted

Post by Ronn » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hello,

has someone experiences with Sun Visual WorkShop C++ 5.0 and Gnu C++ as
well? I would like to find out possible disadvantages of one or the
other. Topics of interests are:

- Thread safety (and general code correctness of course)
- Compliance to ISO standard
- Responsiveness in case of tracking down bugs / getting patches
- Performance (of the compiler)

Ronald

Post by Philip Bro » Wed, 19 Jan 2000 04:00:00

>Hello,

>has someone experiences with Sun Visual WorkShop C++ 5.0 and Gnu C++ as
>well? I would like to find out possible disadvantages of one or the
>other. Topics of interests are:

>- Thread safety (and general code correctness of course)
>- Compliance to ISO standard
>- Responsiveness in case of tracking down bugs / getting patches
>- Performance (of the compiler)

You should compare Sun C++ 50, gcc 2.9.x, AND gcc 2.8.x, since the two
GNU compilers are somewhat different.

This day and age, I would think that the C++ standard is nailed down, and
you should have already decided which features you are going to take
advantage of.
 So perhaps you'd be better off posting an approximate list.
And/or making your own small test harness, and finding out for yourself.
I think "Responsiveness in tracking down bugs" should not be so much of an
issue, except for newer compilers.
[then again, I guess the Sun C++, and gcc 2.9.x fall into that category]

The word of the day is mispergitude

Post by Phil Edwar » Fri, 21 Jan 2000 04:00:00

+ has someone experiences with Sun Visual WorkShop C++ 5.0 and Gnu C++ as
+ well? I would like to find out possible disadvantages of one or the
+ other. Topics of interests are:

If you're doing this to make a decision about which one to use, then you're
not considering something very important:  all compilers have bugs, of one
kind or another.  They all have different interpretations and implementations
of the ISO Standard.  They all have extensions of one kind or another.

If you're asking "which of these two compilers should I use," the correct
answer is "BOTH of them."  That way you keep your code more portable,
and don't accidentally get trapped into using a particular extension,
for example.

+ - Compliance to ISO standard

No compiler supports the full standard, but both of the ones you're looking
at are making big improvements.

+ - Responsiveness in case of tracking down bugs / getting patches

For Sun, you definitely want a support contract.  For GCC, the
bug-reporting list is very responsive.  If there is a particular thing you
want implemented, there are several contract coders that you can pay to
implement that feature and then contribute it to GCC (a bunch of quality
work gets done like that).

Luck++;
Phil

--

Targeting & Attack Radar              PGP ID              UFOs are real.
U.S. Air Force Research Labs        0xDBABC04F            The Air Force

C++ Visual Workshop 5.0 vs. gcc 2.9x - opinions wanted

Post by Noel Hu » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> GNU, is much better at discovering bugs in the code.  Sun compilers are
> very forgiving.  Since I use Solaris on SPARC and Intel, I use Workshop

I beg to differ. I have seen gcc accept very non-standard code that
the Sun compiler will rightly barf on. I met problems like this when
trying to compile in Solaris 2.6, an early version of DENTS, for example,
which had been developed on linux.

1. Question re: Best compiler...Microsoft Visual C/C++ vs. Symantec's Visual C/C++

Could anyone out there possibly help me. I am trying to find
out which is the best compiler between Microsoft Visual C/C++
and Symantec's Visual C/C++.I am sure others have done this
comparison and I'm interested in their findings. Any help in
this direction would be greatly appreciated.I don't know if this
is the best newsgroup to post a question of this nature or not.
Any suggestions of another newsgroup more likely to cater
to a question of this nature would also be appreciate. Thanks
in advance for your help.

2. VFS: Cannot open root device """ or 08:41

3. Sell me your C++ Workshop or Visual Workshop

4. makefile help: funny rule

5. Opinions Wanted: Solaris 2.4 vs. AIX vs. HP/UX vs AT&T Sys5v4

6. FTP as/400 to aix script, need help

7. File won't compile with Visual Workshop 5.0 - any ideas?

8. SuSE Linux 7.1 ├╝ber privates netz an DSL

9. Sun's Visual Workshop C++ 3.0 Users ?

10. Visual Workshop C++ and Solaris 2.7

11. Comments on Visual Workshop for C++, SPARCworks and Tools.h++

12. Sun Visual Workshop C++ for building Motif and MFC based UI's?

13. X86 Visual WorkShop for C++, help please