WANTED: Sparc 2/5/10/20 workstation for starving student 12-16-98 cnx.net

WANTED: Sparc 2/5/10/20 workstation for starving student 12-16-98 cnx.net

Post by Starving Studen » Thu, 17 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Hello!

I'm a starving student looking to buy a cheap Sparc machine to run Solaris
7
I would like to learn Unix, Perl, C, HTTP, TCL, and Sun equipment.
**** The machine would be used for educational purposes only ****

It's hard to get time at school for the machines (as they are always busy)
and need something at home to work on.

Paying for school and everything else leaves me with little to buy a
machine with.
If you send me your exact address (zip-code) I can check on UPS to see what

the shipping charges would be. I will pay 100% of the shipping charges.

Donations accepted.

I need at least: Sparc Station 2/5/10/20 or higher
70Mhz or higher
64 RAM or higher
2 GG HD or higher
Ethernet
monitor+floppy+keyboard+mouse/pad a must.
CD-Rom is optional.

Thank you for every possible help or advice, Ray.

Being a starving student and lacking a Sun box this would be most
appreciated.
I have Been checking ebay.com for cheap units but can't find anything
worthwhile
and everything I want I get outbid on.

Ray Kasprowicz
1250 West Grove Parkway
Tempe, Arizona 85283

WANTED: Sparc 2/5/10/20 workstation for starving student 12-16-98 cnx.net

Post by Aaron Groga » Sat, 19 Dec 1998 04:00:00

um, you don't need a sun workstation to use unix.  get redhat 5.2 linux.  It
would be a good way to start learning how unix based systems run.  Then
learn a little about networking.  Then get a workstation.  You don't even
need one to your demands anyway.  If you get one now you wont be a "Starving
Student", you will be "Undeserving" Get an ipx if you just need to learn.

Post by Hello Kittyha » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

|um, you don't need a sun workstation to use unix.  get redhat 5.2 linux.  It
|would be a good way to start learning how unix based systems run.  Then
|learn a little about networking.  Then get a workstation.  You don't even
|need one to your demands anyway.  If you get one now you wont be a "Starving
|Student", you will be "Undeserving" Get an ipx if you just need to learn.

        Better to get Solaris 7, $10 - this will give
        you a better idea of a commercial product, &
        also provide something robust in case you try
        out various server functions

--
  ,u,    Bruce Becker           Toronto, Ontario        1 416 699 1868

 `/o/-e  Christ on a hatpin.
 _\ >_                       - Lorri Robinson

1. Sparc 5 vs Sparc 10 vs Sparc 20

New to the group, so please be easy on me.

Here's my question:

Is there a performance difference between a 5, 10, or 20?  During a
recent exercise we conducted, that users were complaining about their
clients being too slow.  They asked to be upgraded to a Sparc 20 to
alleviate their woes.  Walking around doing a dmesg grep -i cpu, we
found that the 5's or 10's actually had a faster processor than the
20's.  Sometimes the RAM was higher on the 20's, sometimes not.   Is
there some sort of performance rating on different models published
somewhere?  Or is it dependent on the architecture of the box itself?
My suggestion was to walk around and pencil in an extra 0 on the case
so they'd think they had a higher model !  Customer service!!

If this is too vague, please let me know and I'll try to be as
specific as I can without compromising security.

Boz
(no certifications as of yet)

2. SMP Query!!

3. WANTED! Solaris CD - for Sparc 2/5/10's

4. Frontpage search FORM cuts URL's name

5. 2.5.10 - kernel hangs after detecting CD/DVD ROM (was: Re: IDE problem: 2.5.10 compiles but hangs during boot)

6. Sonic Impact S90 unsupported

7. ide-scsi 2.5.10-dj1 compilation failure

8. InfoWorld Linux Forum

9. 2.5.9, 2.5.10 shellscript error

10. 2.5.10-dj1 compilation failure

11. Problems with SPARC Workstation 20

12. ACPI in 2.5 kills kbd on Via-ACPI systems [Re: kernel 2.5.10 problems]

13. sparc 20 workstation's clock