Netscape, S24 frame buffer, Solaris 2.4

Post by Rion Odenba » Thu, 18 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I have a Sparc 5 running Soalris 2.4 and an s24 frame buffer.  When I run
Netscape it scrolls very very slowly.  My Sparc IPC scrolls like ten times
faster.  It is almost unbearable.  I think i have installed all the
correct patches, and i am somewhat annoyed by netscape's poor window
scrolling performance.
Rion Odenbach

Post by Richard Skelto » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

> I have a Sparc 5 running Soalris 2.4 and an s24 frame buffer.  When I run
> Netscape it scrolls very very slowly.  My Sparc IPC scrolls like ten times
> faster.  It is almost unbearable.  I think i have installed all the
> correct patches, and i am somewhat annoyed by netscape's poor window
> scrolling performance.
> Rion Odenbach

I have noted the same. Let me know if you find a fix.
Cheers
Rich.
--

                         WWW    : http://www.netlink.co.uk/users/brake/

Post by Charles Stephe » Fri, 19 Apr 1996 04:00:00

 RO> I have a Sparc 5 running Soalris 2.4 and an s24 frame buffer.
 RO> When I run Netscape it scrolls very very slowly.  My Sparc IPC
 RO> scrolls like ten times faster.  It is almost unbearable.  I think
 RO> i have installed all the correct patches, and i am somewhat
 RO> annoyed by netscape's poor window scrolling performance.

Old problem, old fix.  Get the TCX Frambuffer Jumbo patch from
SunService 101923-08 (the specific problem is Bug ID 1205944).  It is
fixed in 2.5 and 2.5.1 FCS.

However, it seems Netscape's scrolling is significantly slowed when
this patch is applied (and it is just as slow in 2.5 as well), it
seems to fix the gravity problem, they turned off some speed gains.
Oh well, at least Netscape doesn't give fits anymore.

cfs

--

Emory University      + <URL:http://www.mathcs.emory.edu/~cfs>
Dept. of Math & CS    + Copyright (c)1996 Charles Fredrick Stephens

It is nearly year 00, do you know what your computers will do when it's here?
"Now with the D4-dopamine Receptor Personality Gene!"

Netscape, S24 frame buffer, Solaris 2.4

Post by Anthony D'At » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a Sparc 5 running Soalris 2.4 and an s24 frame buffer.  When I run
>Netscape it scrolls very very slowly.  My Sparc IPC scrolls like ten times
>faster.  It is almost unbearable.  I think i have installed all the
>correct patches, and i am somewhat annoyed by netscape's poor window
>scrolling performance.

The S24 is just plain SLOW.  Sun's graphics have long been behind the times.
They've long been lacking an affordable 24-bit fb, and while it's about time
they delivered one, they undershot the mark.  It's possible that they made
the S24 so slow so that it wouldn't *ize the sales of their high-end,
ludicrous-cost, kitchen-sink ZX.

They're also behind the times in pixel count.  The SS5 GX in front of me
displays the same 1152x900 as the 2/50 of almost fif* years ago.

1. newbie - lcd driver - frame buffer - StrongArm - linux 2.4

Hello world !

I need to develop a driver for a LCD display with onboard memory for an
add-on card. So I can not
directly connect the display to the video RAM. Instead we are going to use a
serial interface to
transfer the data to the LCD controller. We use the StrongArm architecture
and an Intrinsyc
development board and Linux 2.4 series. The add-on card is going to be used
in telecom applications.
The serial interface is very slow, therefore I would like to transfer the
difference between two frames.
So I am thing of developping (actually changing) the framebuffer device.

I have the following questions ?

1. Are there people who have experience with this, tips, information ?

2. What would be the best approach ?

3. My first intention is to change the framebuffer device. I would like to
allocate two times the
memory of a frame, let us sat mem1 and mem2. First I write in mem1 and then
in mem2. I only
transfer the difference between these two frames to my LCD driver.
Is this a good approach ? Any drawbacks ? Is this feasibly ? estimated time
?

4. Where can I find information on this subject !

Any help would be appreciated !

-david-

2. new SCSI disk

3. Frame-J printing in Solaris 2.4 env

4. POP3

5. zs3: ring buffer overflow on Solaris 2.4 :(

6. Partitioning Large Drives == Panic

7. Solaris 2.4/2.5 serial buffering query

8. Redhat 5.2 Install Blues ! ! !

9. Setting TCP receive buffer default size on Solaris 2.4

10. cachefs disable buffering in Solaris 2.4?

11. FCode for SBus Frame Buffer - Solaris "boot -r" doesn't see it?

12. zx frame buffer and Solaris 7

13. Solaris 1.1.1 and ZX (leo) frame buffer...