writeing your own nss service

Post by Mark Hea » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
        Im looking to develop my own (very) lightweight service for the
passwd database using nss.  Mostlikely using UDP sockets, to a remote
machine.

Can anyone recommend documentation on how to go about doing this.  Or
maybe even recommend a freeware package.

I found the glibc documentation about nss but it appeared to say that it
was internally different to Solaris.

I've had a look at:
NIS+ was too resource hungry.
Management dont like the look of LDAP.
DCE sounded good, but I only found a 12k archive with an nss replacement
and nothing more.

Thanks

--
-- mark heath - Unix System Programmer/Engineer - Netspace Online Systems.
:wq

writeing your own nss service

Post by Dominic Mitche » Tue, 24 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I've had a look at:
> NIS+ was too resource hungry.
> Management dont like the look of LDAP.

Why was that?  Sun appear to promoting LDAP as "the way forward", as do
others...

Quote:> DCE sounded good, but I only found a 12k archive with an nss replacement

--
Dom Mitchell -- Palmer & Harvey McLane -- Unix Systems Administrator
``Damn the philosophy, just provide the functionality and let anyone