solaris virtual memory and io cache

Post by hopehope_12 » Sat, 20 Aug 2005 21:44:47

Hi Gurus ,

I am trying to understand under what circumstances does sun allocates
anon or heap memory . A simple malloc statement allocates heap , i can
see this by using pmap . And when i read data by using for example
read:

#include<stdio.h>
 #include <sys/types.h>
 #include <sys/stat.h>
 #include <fcntl.h>

main()
{
int fdes;
char *buf;
int sz=10485760;
buf=(char *) malloc(10485760);
fdes=open("/data/spss/x1.dat",O_RDONLY);
if (fdes>0)
printf("fileacildi");
else
printf("fileacilamadi");
while (fdes)
{
 printf("%d\n",read(fdes, buf,sz));

Quote:}
}

this data is also put into the heap.( as the above code , the buf is
allocated by using malloc and this is allocated inside the heap.)

So , what exactly does anon mean ?  When i execute pmap against oracle
executables , i see that oracle allocates lots of anon pages. How can i
find this information?

Thanks for all your replies.

Kind Regards,
hope

1. solaris-veritas: A simple question about Cached Quick IO?

hi, solaris fans: We are using Veritas Filesystem here, and i am looking
at Cached Quick I/O here. I don't know whether some datafile is already
in cached on mode.How can i find it out? And, if the filesystem is
already in cached mode, It will use system memory for that filesystem,
can i dynamiclly use vxtunefs to eisable this filesystem cache? Thanks.

--
an oracle fan,
an oracle beginner

2. How do...drive back?

3. memory uage - real, virtual & caching

4. Quantum Shift in Linux Hardware Solutions

5. Solaris 2.6 Memory and file IO

6. information

7. Clearing the memory cache on a Solaris machine

8. Suse 7.2 and Apache problem

9. Solaris 2.4 libnsl has memory overrun in NIS+ cache

10. Cached memory vs free memory

11. mm/memory.c, 2.4.1 : memory leak with swap cache (updated)

12. Bugs in Solaris virtual memory management???

13. maximum possible virtual memory under Solaris?