Print server with Solaris 7

Post by mphs » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hello from France,

I've launch a print service on Unterprise 250 under Solaris 7 for "Oce
3165" printer
with the lpadmin command :

# lpadmin -p a4m1503ba -m netstandard -T unknown -I any -v /dev/null -o
protocol=bsd,dest=a4m1503ba

(lpadmin -i /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard)

-p Nom de l'imprimante
-m Script d'interface
-T Type d'imprimante
-I Type de contenu
-v Device
-o Options

# enable a4m1503ba
printer "a4m1503ba" now enabled
# accept a4m1503ba
destination "a4m1503ba" now accepting requests

All seem good, but no page get out the printer, nevertheless the spooler
is empty
Could you advise me about that please.

Thanks

Print server with Solaris 7

Post by martha starke » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

If the request logs (/etc/lp/logs/requests) shows the print job status
as completed (look for the s 0x0010 in the results), then the printer
may be not understanding the jobs and throwing them out.  This can be
for several reasons:

the format of the print job is not understood by the printer, i.e.
printer is text only and you are sending postscript

possible IP address duplication, i.e. there is another host on the
network with the same ip address as a4m1503ba

the oce printer doesn't like the info in the control file or data is
missing.  Make sure you have the latest lp patch for 2.7 and set that
option with this command

lpadmin -p a4m1503ba -o data-file-type-l

where l is a lower case "L" not the numeral one.  The default is
data-file-type-f.

Canon printers are notorious for this, perhaps oces are as well.

The actual Sun response to a question like this is:

Use manufacturer software to setup the queues like jetadmin is used for
hp printers.  It can be tough if no software is available, but you could
ask your Oce rep.  Otherwise, perhaps some of the suggestions above will
help.

Regards,

ML Starkey

> [...]

> 3165" printer
> with the lpadmin command :

> # lpadmin -p a4m1503ba -m netstandard -T unknown -I any -v /dev/null -o
> protocol=bsd,dest=a4m1503ba

> (lpadmin -i /usr/lib/lp/model/netstandard)

> -p Nom de l'imprimante
> -m Script d'interface
> -T Type d'imprimante
> -I Type de contenu
> -v Device
> -o Options

> # enable a4m1503ba
> printer "a4m1503ba" now enabled
> # accept a4m1503ba
> destination "a4m1503ba" now accepting requests

> All seem good, but no page get out the printer, nevertheless the spooler
> is empty
> Could you advise me about that please.

> Thanks

Print server with Solaris 7

Post by martha starke » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

having config problems with netscape . . . . .

Print server with Solaris 7

Post by Greg Andre » Wed, 11 Oct 2000 04:00:00

A couple of small corrections:

>If the request logs (/etc/lp/logs/requests) shows the print job status
>as completed (look for the s 0x0010 in the results), then the printer
>may be not understanding the jobs and throwing them out.  This can be
>for several reasons:

>the format of the print job is not understood by the printer, i.e.
>printer is text only and you are sending postscript

Reverse those.  It's a Postscript-only printer that would silently
discard plain text print jobs.  A text printer given Postscript data
would print out the raw Postscript code.  It wouldn't be the correct
printout, but something would be printed rather than nothing.

Quote:

>lpadmin -p a4m1503ba -o data-file-type-l

>where l is a lower case "L" not the numeral one.  The default is
>data-file-type-f.

There should be an equal sign before the l and f:

  -o data-file-type=l
  -o data-file-type=f

and there is no default.  Netpr omits the 'l' or 'f' line from
the control file when no data-file-type option is specified.

  -Greg
--

Conway's Law:  In any organization there will always be one
person who knows what is going on.  This person must be fired.

1. printing from Linix to Solaris print server

Our print server here is a Solaris machine setup via HP JetAdmin.
Does anyone know how I confugure Red Hat 6.1 so it I can print duplex and
select trays on HP LaserJets with this setup?
On Solaris you use "lp -oduplex -otray1" etc.  Do I need print filters
on the Linux machine.

(if anyone knows could you email as I rarely read News)

Michael

--
_________

Systems Manager                              Fax: +44 131 220 4492
Quadstone Limited                            WWW: http://www.quadstone.com

2. tape backups and nfs

3. remote printing fails after upgrading print server to Solaris-2.8?

4. ssh through ipmasq?

5. Solaris Printing With DLink Print Server

6. DE-660 PCMCIA Card

7. Print from Solaris to NT print server????

8. Solaris 2.6 - Threads and memory allocation

9. Printing problems on a Solaris 8 print server

10. Printing from Solaris 2.X or SunOs through a NT Print Server

11. Print from Solaris to Windows 2003 Print Server

12. Printing from OS/2 client to Solaris 2.3 print server

13. Server will not print to a Linksys EPSX3 Print Server