replace Sun type 6 keyboard with a "normal" keyboard?

replace Sun type 6 keyboard with a "normal" keyboard?

Post by Michael Wa » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 13:27:28

I have Sun type 6 keyboard attached to Sun SPARCserver 20.
Some meta keys (control key for example) are not in "right"
place.

I searched the web, and found some old documents on reprogramming
the keys. But is there a simpler way of replacing the
Sun type 6 keyboard with a "normal" keyboard? Thanks.

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 15:25:45

> I have Sun type 6 keyboard attached to Sun SPARCserver 20.
> Some meta keys (control key for example) are not in "right"
> place.

There are several different layouts of Type 6 keyboards,
including the "UNIX" layout with the control key in the
right place (i.e., to the left of A)*, and the PeeCee layout,
with the keys in a very vi-unfriendly location.

* Hee, hee: watch Don Fool chime in with this one!  :-)

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Michael Wa » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 20:47:26

>> I have Sun type 6 keyboard attached to Sun SPARCserver 20.
>> Some meta keys (control key for example) are not in "right"
>> place.

>There are several different layouts of Type 6 keyboards,
>including the "UNIX" layout with the control key in the
>right place (i.e., to the left of A)*, and the PeeCee layout,
>with the keys in a very vi-unfriendly location.

>* Hee, hee: watch Don Fool chime in with this one!  :-)

Rich

From your description, I have a "UNIX" layout as I do have
the control key in the the left of A. As I use Solaris Intel
and Linux more often, the PeeCee layout is what I need.
I did not feel any vi-unfriendliness. Maybe it is just a matter
of getting used to.

But even PeeCee keyboards shave different layout. My Toshiba laptop
has the "~" key at the right the SPACE bar, but my SONY laptop has it
at the left of "1". (My "UNIX" keyboard has it above the "back space".)
But this did not bother me as much as the UNIX" keyboard has the
"Control" and "Caps lock" position switched.

Standardization is a great thing.

Post by Tan Zheng D » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 21:11:06

>>>I have Sun type 6 keyboard attached to Sun SPARCserver 20.
>>>Some meta keys (control key for example) are not in "right"
>>>place.

>>There are several different layouts of Type 6 keyboards,
>>including the "UNIX" layout with the control key in the
>>right place (i.e., to the left of A)*, and the PeeCee layout,
>>with the keys in a very vi-unfriendly location.

>>* Hee, hee: watch Don Fool chime in with this one!  :-)

> Rich

> From your description, I have a "UNIX" layout as I do have
> the control key in the the left of A. As I use Solaris Intel
> and Linux more often, the PeeCee layout is what I need.
> I did not feel any vi-unfriendliness. Maybe it is just a matter
> of getting used to.

> But even PeeCee keyboards shave different layout. My Toshiba laptop
> has the "~" key at the right the SPACE bar, but my SONY laptop has it
> at the left of "1". (My "UNIX" keyboard has it above the "back space".)
> But this did not bother me as much as the UNIX" keyboard has the
> "Control" and "Caps lock" position switched.

> Standardization is a great thing.

I'm glad they didn't 'standardize' all keyboards to the PeeCee layout :)
  Here's a tip if you want a quick fix: access your Sun box through your
Linux PeeCee:

Or if you decided to eventually switch to the more ergonomic keyboard
layout on your PeeCee, use the following XF86Config-4 keyboard option:

Option  "XkbOptions"    "ctrl:swapcaps"

--
tzd.

Post by Rich Tee » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 02:20:51

> From your description, I have a "UNIX" layout as I do have
> the control key in the the left of A. As I use Solaris Intel
> and Linux more often, the PeeCee layout is what I need.
> I did not feel any vi-unfriendliness. Maybe it is just a matter
> of getting used to.

Probably; I've used both type before in the past enough
to get used to both, and I prefer the UNIX layout.  (I'm
in vi a LOT, so close Ctrl and Escape keys are very important
to me.)  What I mean by the preceding is that when I used
a PC I got used to that layout, and now that I use Suns
esxclusively, I'm used to the UNIX layout.  The latter feels
more natural to me.

But, you can order a PC layout keybaord from Sun, or get one
from eBay.  They're pretty cheap.

Quote:> Standardization is a great thing.

It is - as long as the right standards are settled on.  IMHO,
when IBM introduced the AT keyboard, they invented the wrong
standard.  (IIRC, the original XT keyboard had the Control
and Caps lock keys in the "UNIX" position.)

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Post by Michael T Pi » Sun, 02 Dec 2001 08:45:28

>>> I have Sun type 6 keyboard attached to Sun SPARCserver 20.
>>> Some meta keys (control key for example) are not in "right"
>>> place.

Yes they are.

Quote:>From your description, I have a "UNIX" layout as I do have
>the control key in the the left of A. As I use Solaris Intel
>and Linux more often, the PeeCee layout is what I need.
>I did not feel any vi-unfriendliness. Maybe it is just a matter
>of getting used to.
>But even PeeCee keyboards shave different layout. My Toshiba laptop
>has the "~" key at the right the SPACE bar, but my SONY laptop has it
>at the left of "1". (My "UNIX" keyboard has it above the "back space".)
>But this did not bother me as much as the UNIX" keyboard has the
>"Control" and "Caps lock" position switched.
>Standardization is a great thing.

It certainly is.  Every non-PC keyboard I've ever used that had a control
key (which is over a score of them, over the last 25 years) has it on the
same row as 'a'.  On some, it is a double-size key, and is next to 'a'.  On
others, it's a standard size key and a standard sized CapsLock is between
it and 'a'.  It is, however, *always* on the same row as 'a'.

IBM, for reasons known only to them, decided to break this, and produce
keyboards with it in a non-standard place.  The pcclone industry followed
IBM (but generally broke things even more).

Back to your original question, Sun will happily sell you a "PC-layout"
keyboard.  You can likely find one on eBay for much cheaper as well.

*     ftp://ftp.nndev.org/pub        |     #include <std.disclaimer>     *

Post by Paul Flo » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 06:49:21

>It is - as long as the right standards are settled on.  IMHO,
>when IBM introduced the AT keyboard, they invented the wrong
>standard.  (IIRC, the original XT keyboard had the Control
>and Caps lock keys in the "UNIX" position.)

Methinks you're mixing up your PC/XT, AT and PS/2. The PC/XT is so old
that I can only vaguely remember it - just one block of keys with 60 odd
buttons. The AT keybaord has 84 keys, with the F-keys to the left of the
main block, in 2 columns. The PS/2 keyboard is the ubiquitous PC
keyboard - 102 keys, F-keys above the main block. I have a genuine old
PS/2 keyboard next to my desk - I'd use it all the time but for the fact
that the 'clack' that the keys make can be heard across the apartment.

The keyboard layouts also vary between countries.

A bientot
Paul
--
Paul Floyd                 http://paulf.free.fr (for what it's worth)

What happens if you have lead in your pants as well as lead in your pencil?

replace Sun type 6 keyboard with a "normal" keyboard?

Post by Rich Tee » Mon, 03 Dec 2001 09:50:24

Quote:> Methinks you're mixing up your PC/XT, AT and PS/2. The PC/XT is so old

That's more than likely!  It's been YEARS since I last touched a PeeCee
keyboard that old.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

1. Type "(", ")" and "{", "}" in X...

Hi,

When i start a shell under X, i can type all characters on my keyboard,
the same when i start the simple editor, but when i start Forte (Java
IDE) written in Java i cant use the "(", ")", "{", "}" and allmost none
of the characters that are located on the same key as a number...

Does anybody have an idea what i can do about that... could it be
something with programs written in Java..?

Mvg,
Erwin

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Forensic Tool for Linux

3. "keyboard error"; "socket destroy delayed"

4. 9600 Modem Port Speed Limit and Flow Control?

5. Extend Keyboard keys: (sound up/down, the "Dell" button, "Play"....)

6. Hard Drive Partition Question

7. "multimedia" or "internet" keyboard

8. Help: 115200 Baud Register setting needed

9. How can I type an "eszet" (german double s) on a US-Keyboard?

10. Typing "\" in iMac OpenFirmware with German keyboard

12. "open" key on sun keyboards

13. keyboard beep on sun type 4 keyboard