How do you set up Print filters and printcap entries....

How do you set up Print filters and printcap entries....

Post by Brian O'Brie » Wed, 15 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I have a print filter I run on SunOs 4.1.3_U1 without any problems.
I am trying to port this filter to Solaris 2.5.1.  Can someone be
of assistance?

1. printcap entry and filtering

Can anyone answer the following question on a printcap entry.
I am want to be able to have lpd filter a file on a Sparc IPX
running SunOS 4.1.3 and then send it off to a remote Linux box
for printing.  The printcap I tried using for is the following
one

lpa:\
        :lp=:rm=remotemachine:rp=lps: \
        :mx#0:sd=/usr/spool/lpd/remotemachine: \
        :if=/usr/spool/lpd/remotemachine/filter: \
        :lf=/dev/null:af=/dev/null:

Instead of passing a file through the filter
     /usr/spool/lpd/remotemachine/filter
and then sending things off to printer lps on remotemachine,
lpd is just sending the file off without any filtering.  As an
experiment, I tried things the other way around (Linux to Sun)
and ran into the same problem.  There is no problem filtering
if I do not try to then send the file to a remote machine.
It is only the combination that causes problems.  The
Printing-HOWTO I have is somewhat contradictory.  One section
says filtering followed by sending off to a remote machine
for printing is allowed, another section says it is not.

Thanks in advance.

Allen Moy

2. Kernel debug info - HP NetRaid problem (long)

3. Printcap entry/input filter for HP DesignJet 350C

4. ASPPPD

5. /etc/printcap entry and filters for NEC SilentWriter 2 /90

6. How to compile WebStone (error report)

7. Printcap entry and filter for lj4m(Dr. Dobb's Journal Sep. issue)

8. how to use a chooser?

9. Printcap entry & filter for HP500c?????

10. printcap entries & output filters for specific printers

11. printcap and print filters

12. Print filters: LPD and Printcap HP_filter Docs?

13. Printing: printcap can't find input filter