Solaris 8 Nis+ server and RH Linux 7.3 Nis+ client ---- Problems and Questions

Post by Solaris B » Fri, 11 Oct 2002 13:18:12

I have a Solaris 8 which has been serving thin clients which are
running solaris 8 as well. In a process of making the environment
heterogenous we are trying to set up Nis+ clients running on RH 7.3. A
Linux box has been set up as a nis+ client and it does have a nis+
service. What I mean to say is when I do a niscat on the
passwd.org_dir I can see the contents. Also when I do a nisstat I see
that it is binded to the master server and a nisping also replies with
the master server's name.(There are no replica servers). The automount
of home directories has not been set up. I did the following on the
server side to add the credentials of the linux box.

des

nistbladm -a name=groupname host=systemname netgroup.org_dir

A nisinit has been done on the client side using the nisinit -c -H
hostname

A keylogin -r also has been done and the secret key has been stored to
/etc/.rootkey.

The client doesnt allow users on the cluster to login.

sunlinux  -.xxx.yyy.zzz  xxx.yy.zzz

where xxx.yyy.zzz is my NIS+ domain.

My question is whether the above nistbladm command still needs to be
executed after doing nisaddcred.

Can any one please explain what the below line from my
netgroup.org_dir means?

sunlinux  -.xxx.yyy.zzz  xxx.yy.zzz

I looked at the man pages for netgroups and it talks about - as a
placeholder which I couldnt clearly comprehend.

The Nis+ client does not allow login as a Nis+ user.

Any suggestions?

Post by Solaris B » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:45:42

> I have a Solaris 8 which has been serving thin clients which are
> running solaris 8 as well. In a process of making the environment
> heterogenous we are trying to set up Nis+ clients running on RH 7.3. A
> Linux box has been set up as a nis+ client and it does have a nis+
> service. What I mean to say is when I do a niscat on the
> passwd.org_dir I can see the contents. Also when I do a nisstat I see
> that it is binded to the master server and a nisping also replies with
> the master server's name.(There are no replica servers). The automount
> of home directories has not been set up. I did the following on the
> server side to add the credentials of the linux box.

> des

> nistbladm -a name=groupname host=systemname netgroup.org_dir

> A nisinit has been done on the client side using the nisinit -c -H
> hostname

> A keylogin -r also has been done and the secret key has been stored to
> /etc/.rootkey.

> The client doesnt allow users on the cluster to login.

> sunlinux  -.xxx.yyy.zzz  xxx.yy.zzz

> where xxx.yyy.zzz is my NIS+ domain.

> My question is whether the above nistbladm command still needs to be
> executed after doing nisaddcred.

> Can any one please explain what the below line from my
> netgroup.org_dir means?

> sunlinux  -.xxx.yyy.zzz  xxx.yy.zzz

> I looked at the man pages for netgroups and it talks about - as a
> placeholder which I couldnt clearly comprehend.

> The Nis+ client does not allow login as a Nis+ user.

> Any suggestions?

Can any one get back to me on this?

Post by Akop Pogosia » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 03:23:17

>> I have a Solaris 8 which has been serving thin clients which are
>> running solaris 8 as well. In a process of making the environment
>> heterogenous we are trying to set up Nis+ clients running on RH 7.3. A
>> Linux box has been set up as a nis+ client and it does have a nis+
>> service. What I mean to say is when I do a niscat on the
>> passwd.org_dir I can see the contents. Also when I do a nisstat I see
>> that it is binded to the master server and a nisping also replies with
>> the master server's name.(There are no replica servers). The automount
>> of home directories has not been set up. I did the following on the
>> server side to add the credentials of the linux box.

>> des

>> nistbladm -a name=groupname host=systemname netgroup.org_dir

>> A nisinit has been done on the client side using the nisinit -c -H
>> hostname

>> A keylogin -r also has been done and the secret key has been stored to
>> /etc/.rootkey.

>> The client doesnt allow users on the cluster to login.

>> sunlinux  -.xxx.yyy.zzz  xxx.yy.zzz

>> where xxx.yyy.zzz is my NIS+ domain.

>> My question is whether the above nistbladm command still needs to be
>> executed after doing nisaddcred.

>> Can any one please explain what the below line from my
>> netgroup.org_dir means?

>> sunlinux  -.xxx.yyy.zzz  xxx.yy.zzz

>> I looked at the man pages for netgroups and it talks about - as a
>> placeholder which I couldnt clearly comprehend.

>> The Nis+ client does not allow login as a Nis+ user.

>> Any suggestions?
> You're using crypt passwords in the shadow map, right?  Linux defaults
> to MD5, IIRC which won't work.

I think most Linux distributions will work fine if they find crypt
passwords in the passwd table or map. It's the Solaris that barfs if
it finds MD5 passwords. We are using RedHat Linux clients in a Solaris
managed NIS domain and, AFAIR, nothing special had to be done to make
the Linux clients work.

--
Akop Pogosian

This space has been accidentally left blank.

Post by Rev. Don Koo » Sat, 12 Oct 2002 09:03:05

> I have a Solaris 8 which has been serving thin clients which are
> running solaris 8 as well. In a process of making the environment
> heterogenous we are trying to set up Nis+ clients running on RH 7.3.

        That's your problem right there.  You shouldn't be mixing in non UNIX
systems and expecting them to work.

                        Hope this helps,
                                Don

--
***********************      You a bounty hunter?
* Rev. Don McDonald   *      Man's gotta earn a living.

1. NIS : auth problem with Linux nis server and SUN sparc nis client

Hello,

I'v found some very old message about this problem in this group, but
there was no solution.

I' ve set up a NIS server on a Linux machine ( ubuntu 5.01)
following this howto
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/NIS-HOWTO/index.html
http://doc.ubuntu-fr.org/serveur/nis

everything seems to be ok
my sun machine is binded to ypserv on linux

inv09748 ( my linux nis server)

cao8:$1$JL6XpfxxxxxqctkdfFSycuu/:5008:5000::/home/cao8:/usr/bin/ksh

but when i try to log with cao8 => " incorrect login"

i can only log with root

loggued with root in can do :
su - cao8
and it works fine

so ... if someone can help, i will be very gracefull

(sorry for my english, i'm french)

2. Perl 5.8.0 on RH9 missing some core modules ?

3. Solaris NIS server and Linux NIS client : problems

4. Routing keystrokes through network connection

5. NIS+ : Can an HP be a NIS client to a Sun NIS+ server

6. Writing package installation scripts.

7. linux NIS client not binding to Solaris NIS+ server

8. vacation, .forward not working on Solaris 7 after patch cluster

9. Linux nis client with solaris nis server in C2 security mode

10. linux nis server solaris nis client?

11. Linux NIS Server with Solaris NIS Client

12. Setting up Linux NIS+ client with Sun Solaris NIS+ server.

13. Connecting Solaris NIS client to Linux NIS server