HOW TO: Use Solaris 2.5 PPP to connect to the Internet

HOW TO: Use Solaris 2.5 PPP to connect to the Internet

Post by Charles Piaz » Sun, 17 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Here is a shor how to that I wrote on how to use Solaris 2.5 and PPP
to link my Sparc5 to the Internet. Hope this helps someone!

        Using Solaris 2.5 PPP to Connect to the Internet via
                a modem and Internet Service Provider

                        by Charles R. Piazza

This document is a tutorial on how I used Solaris 2.5 (on a Sun
Sparcserver 5) to make a cheap PPP connection to my local Internet
service provider (ISP). More depth will be spent on how to configure
the PPP link and routing than, on modem/serial setup, however, that is
covered in breif also.

Modem/Serial Port Setup
---------------------------------------

In order for this to work right, the modem should be able to operate
in a split speed mode. Most modern high-speed modems do this. The
easiest way to proceed is to use the Amdin Tools 2.1 under Solaris to
configure your serial port. It needs to be configured as either 'Dial
Out only' or 'Bidirectional'. Because I wanted to preserve a user
dial-in (non PPP at this point) capability, I chose the bidirectioanl
setup. Also, for the purposes of this text we will assume that serial
port A is being used.

After Admin Tool sets up the port make sure that the permission (owner
and group) are correct by executing the following commands (as root):

chown uucp /dev/cua/a
chgrp tty /dev/cua/a
chown root /dev/term/a
chgrp tty /dev/term/a

Now edit the config file for tip (/etc/remote). You'll want to change
the setting for "hardwire:". This will allow you to use 'tip' in order
to setup your modem and save the modem settings. You'll want it to
resemble the following:

hardwire:\
  :dv=/dev/cua/a:br#9600:el=^C^S^Q^U^D:ie=%$:oe=^D:

The /dev/cua/a is the port that you'll be using and 9600 is the rate.
Now execute the command:

tip hardwire

Now type ATE1V1<cr> and you should see an OK (assuming a hayes
compatible modem), you are now able to configure your modem. See your
modem manual for the exact commans/register to setup but you'll need
the following features:

When SUN drops DTR, the modem should hang up and reset.
The modem should only raise CD when the carrier is active.
Respond with numeric result codes.
Have the modem only send the basic result code set.
Modem should be set to use split speeds -- that is, the speed between
      modem and Sun stays constant while the speed between modems
      can vary.
Do NOT echo commands.
Turn on auto answer if modem is to be used for dial-in also.
Use hardware (CTS/RTS) flow control. This is a MUST for PPP!
Remember to save the configuration in the default area of your modem's
NVRAM!!

Providing, that you've got your modem set up and have used Admin Tool
to set up the port characteristics, you're ready to move on to the PPP
portion.

Solaris 2.5 PPP Setup
----------------------------------

Alot of this information can be gleaned by reading the man pages on
PPP or by reading the SunService Tip Sheet for PPP (INFODOC ID 11976).

First of all, make sure that the PPP packages are installed on your
system. The packages required are SUNWapppr, SUNWapppu, and SUNWpppk.
You can check for these via the pkginfo command. If they're NOT
installed you'll need to install them and then reboot with the -r
flag.

Now create a file /etc/asppp.cf and enter the following in it (the the
stuff in < >'s represents things that you need to fill in):

        if config ipdptp0 plumb <your_ip> <provider_ip> up

        path
                interface ipdptp0
                peer_system_name <symbolic_name>   # matches an entry
                                               # in /etc/uucp/Systems
                inactivity_timeout <time>      # time before drop link
                ipcp_async_map 0
        #       debug_level 9                         # uncomment for
debugging

The above file controls how PP will be configured. Now create a
/etc/gateways file with the following in it:

        norip ipdptp0

This file will prevent routes from being sent as RIP packets over the
PPP line, which would keep the line active past the inactivity period.
Now create a /etc/resolv.conf file like the following (unless you
already have this setup):

        nameserver <dns_server_ip>
        domain <your_domain_name>

Add an entry in the file /etc/uucp/Systems:

<symbolic_name> Any ACU <baud_rate> <phone_num> <login_script>

The format for this file is documented under the uucp system man
pages, but mine is setup like this:

icnet Any ACU 19200 5559999 login:--login: user ssword: passwd PPP:
ppp

Now make sure there's and entry for 'ACU' in the /etc/uucp/Devices
file. It should resemble this:

ACU cua/a - Any hayes

Verify that there's any entry in /etc/uucp/Dialers for 'hayes'. My
system came with the already setup.

Move the file /usr/sbin/in.rdisc to /usr/sbin/in.rdisc.save  This
disables the router discovery feature (which causes packets to be sent
out every 10 minutes).

The next step is optional on how it is executed, but is necessary in
order to get packets to be routed over the link to the Internet. It
can be done by hand when the system is brought up or automatically. To
do it automatically, I added the command to the /etc/rc2.d/S72inetsvc
file. It is important to note that the command has to be executed
AFTER the PPP interface is configured or it won't work. The command to
add/execute is:

/usr/sbin/route add default <my_ip> 0

After all of this, reboot the system. While it is booting you should
note that it now brings up and sets a netmask for the ipdptp0
interface. You can test the link by pinging to the ip on the far side
of the link. The ping will fail (because it times out before the
connection can be completed), but the modem should dial out and make a
connection to your provider. You can view the file /etc/log/asppp.log
to see what is happening with the link (hint: turn on the debugging in
asppp.cf and then use 'tail -f' to view the log file).

Related Documents
-------------------------------

Check out the man pages for uucp, ppp, and aspppd. You can also look
at the Solaris Answerbook chapter on PPP in the System Administrator's
Answerbook. Another source is SunService Tip Sheet INFODOC ID #11976.
For modem/serial port setup you might also want to check out Celeste's
Tutorial on Solaris 2.x Modems available at
http://www.stockley.com/stokely

Have fun and good luck!

Charles Piazza

http://www.intercom.net/user/piazza/piazza.html

Go Miller Racing teams!!!
    #2 Rusty Wallace - MGD Ford Thunderbird
    #8 Kenny Wallace - Red Dog Ford Thunderbird
    #9 Bobby Rahal   - MGD Rahal/Hogan Indycar

Also #98 Butch Miller - Raybestos Ford Super Truck

1. Connecting Win 95 PPP to Solaris 2.5 PPP

What is the setup to configure Win 95 Dialer to connect
to solaris 2.5 PPP.

I can dial using hyperterminal,login as my normal username and password
and I get a login shell.

If I try the ppp user login which runs /usr/sbin/aspppls...

If I monitor the port on the sun using tip cuaa

I get alot off garbage and Win 95 errors and says that the
protcol on the other end is not compatible and suggests that
I change the server settings and try again???

Please Help!!!

2. Dumb

3. PPP Setup on Solaris 2.5 to Internet Service

4. 5.0.4 PPP with mstppp

5. solaris 2.5 and PPP using dynamic addressing

6. a/d driver for venix 5

7. Connecting a LAN to the Internet using PPP

8. Undefined Reference Error

9. How to connect to internet by using ppp on red hat linux 4.2

10. connecting to the internet using ppp!!!

11. help: Connecting Intranet to Internet using Linux & PPP

12. connecting to internet using PPP, trouble visiting certain sites