"ypservers" file in sunos4.x

Post by Mohd Fared Bin Abdul Khi » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
could anyone tell me how to tell machine running sunos4.x
the sequence of servers to find for it's binding process.
If in solaris2.x I would specify in
/var/yp/binding/`domainname`/ypservers file.
I read the manual and as it is, there are files in
/var/yp/binding directory with "domainname".1 and "domainname".2
that would store the info on it's binding process.
Is this mean that we don't have such utility in sunos like
what we have with ypservers file in solaris2.x ?
I know there is ypset utility to set the client to bind to
specific server, but how about the sequence that the client
should use when finding the server to bind ? Is it true if I
assume that client would send broadcast to the network and the
first server to answer would be the server that it would bind to ?

Any explaination would be greatly appreciated.

-fared-

"ypservers" file in sunos4.x

Post by Umakant Wadiya » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I think  you are right , If you run "ypserv  "   with -d   option (
broadcast ) ,
it will bind to the first server  which responds to its broadcast .

..Umakant

Quote:> Hi,
> could anyone tell me how to tell machine running sunos4.x
> the sequence of servers to find for it's binding process.
> If in solaris2.x I would specify in
> /var/yp/binding/`domainname`/ypservers file.
> I read the manual and as it is, there are files in
> /var/yp/binding directory with "domainname".1 and "domainname".2
> that would store the info on it's binding process.
> Is this mean that we don't have such utility in sunos like
> what we have with ypservers file in solaris2.x ?
> I know there is ypset utility to set the client to bind to
> specific server, but how about the sequence that the client
> should use when finding the server to bind ? Is it true if I
> assume that client would send broadcast to the network and the
> first server to answer would be the server that it would bind to ?

> Any explaination would be greatly appreciated.

> -fared-

"ypservers" file in sunos4.x

Post by CP » Sat, 17 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,
> could anyone tell me how to tell machine running sunos4.x
> the sequence of servers to find for it's binding process.
> If in solaris2.x I would specify in
> /var/yp/binding/`domainname`/ypservers file.
> I read the manual and as it is, there are files in
> /var/yp/binding directory with "domainname".1 and "domainname".2
> that would store the info on it's binding process.
> Is this mean that we don't have such utility in sunos like
> what we have with ypservers file in solaris2.x ?
> I know there is ypset utility to set the client to bind to
> specific server, but how about the sequence that the client
> should use when finding the server to bind ? Is it true if I
> assume that client would send broadcast to the network and the
> first server to answer would be the server that it would bind to ?

> Any explaination would be greatly appreciated.

> -fared-

Havn't use SunOS 4.x for a couple of years ?!?  (I may be wrong on this)

I recall SunOS 4.x client ypbinding startup is based on broadcast
therefore the client can only bind to the same sub-net ypserver.

ypset is used for the initial setup of YP slave server that need to bind
itself to YP master that is on a different subnet. Procedure is :

ypset
start ypbind (become client)
download the maps and convert itself to a slave server

That is all I can remember.

--

Regards

--CP

"ypservers" file in sunos4.x

Post by Griff Miller I » Sat, 24 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

> Hi,
> could anyone tell me how to tell machine running sunos4.x
> the sequence of servers to find for it's binding process.

You cannot do this in SunOS 4.1.x like you can in Solaris 2.x and 7.

Quote:> If in solaris2.x I would specify in
> /var/yp/binding/`domainname`/ypservers file.
> I read the manual and as it is, there are files in
> /var/yp/binding directory with "domainname".1 and "domainname".2
> that would store the info on it's binding process.
> Is this mean that we don't have such utility in sunos like
> what we have with ypservers file in solaris2.x ?

That's what it means.

Quote:> I know there is ypset utility to set the client to bind to
> specific server, but how about the sequence that the client
> should use when finding the server to bind ? Is it true if I
> assume that client would send broadcast to the network and the
> first server to answer would be the server that it would bind to ?

That's right, and in general the only machines you want to run
in non-broadcast mode are the NIS servers themselves (slaves and
master), unless you are extra concerned about security.

My recommendation is to make all the clients run ypbind in broadcast
mode (in Solaris you do this by just deleting the ypservers file, and it
is the default in SunOS) and make all the servers bind to themselves. In Solaris
just put "localhost" in ypservers and for SunOS you will need to start
ypbind with the -ypsetme option and then do a ypset.

Remember that broadcast packets are contained within subnets, i.e. they
won't travel across routers, so you need at least one slave on each subnet
if you want the clients on each subnet to run ypbind in broadcast mode.
If you encounter trouble getting a client to bind to a server in broadcast
mode, check (using "ifconfig -a") that the client and all the servers on
that subnet are using the correct netmask.

Good luck!

--
Griff Miller II
Senior Unix/NT Sysadmin