LP Subsystem

Post by Dennis Sac » Wed, 03 Mar 1993 09:11:27

Is there a way to have aliases for a printer (like Sunos 4.x)?
Also, if you are setting up a remote queue using the admintool, you
must name the local queue the same name as the remote queue. Is there
a way around this?

Any insight into the lp subsystem would be helpful,
thanks,

--
Dennis Sacks

         at Info Enterprises

LP Subsystem

Post by Michael A. Coop » Tue, 09 Mar 1993 08:54:27

>Is there a way to have aliases for a printer (like Sunos 4.x)?
>Also, if you are setting up a remote queue using the admintool, you
>must name the local queue the same name as the remote queue. Is there
>a way around this?

From what I've found, you can't have an alias as you can with the BSD
print system.  (I'm waiting to hear back from Sun on this).  The only
solution I can think of is to have a seperate (printer) queue for each
"alias".  Of course, this may confuse the user since the number of
printers available will grow signficantly.  If anybody knows of a
better means, please let me know!

I believe you have to use "lpadmin -p <printer> -s
<server>!<remoteprinter>" to specificy the remote printer name.

        mike

--
Michael A. Cooper, University Computing Services, U of Southern California

--
Michael A. Cooper, University Computing Services, U of Southern California

1. LP subsystem problem

Hello,
I am running Solaris 2.5.1 on SS-5 and US-1 clients.
I have a HP 4000N using the Jetadmin software. It works fine until there
is a load
(read concentration of print requests) on the system. Then what happens
is it prints a
document with:

This job is recovered from page 152!!
(Note: There may be a few pages duplicated)

The print host does not report a error from lpstat -t
A remote host that was directing a print job to print host shortly after

this error condition reports a error from lpstat -t. Bouncing lpsched
locally
has no effect. Bouncing lpsched on print host clear the condition (that
was never reported)
and proceeds with outstanding print requests.

Is this senario familar to anyone?
Any work arounds?

Thanks

2. terminfo: color vs BW : was COLORFUL PKGTOOL

3. How do you debug the lp subsystem

4. rsync error

5. looking for replacement lp subsystem

6. installing pam

7. Security Vulnerability in lp subsystem

8. Netscape & intellimouse scrolling

9. lp(1) suid to lp-Secure files fail.

10. #$%@! lp:Solaris remote lp failing

11. lp: unable to get major 6 - Initialization of lp failed

12. lp-init: no lp devices found

13. Modifying lp & lp sched