patches and nfs

Post by Markus Ender » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

after installing the latest recommended path cluster for solaris 8 from
sunsolve, I have the problem, that nfs doesn't work anymore. NFS worked
before. The error message is (when I try to mount the sun from several
linux boxes) : RPC:program isn't registered (or very similar to it).

Shortly before installing the patches from the 1st of Nov, I installed
the recommended cluster patch from oktober. So the only patch, which was
installed was the kernel patch (according to the logfile and the screen
output).

What happened? How may I fix it?

Ciao & TIA
Markus

patches and nfs

Post by Markus Ender » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

me again,

Markus Enders schrieb:

Quote:

> Hi,

> after installing the latest recommended path cluster for solaris 8 from
> sunsolve, I have the problem, that nfs doesn't work anymore. NFS worked
> before.

on another sun (the ultra 1) I installed the same path on a plain
solaris 8 (without any patches before) - the same thing. nfs doesn't
work anymore.

Any help is appreciated. Thanx

Ciao
Markus

patches and nfs

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi,
> after installing the latest recommended path cluster for solaris 8 from
> sunsolve, I have the problem, that nfs doesn't work anymore. NFS worked
> before. The error message is (when I try to mount the sun from several
> linux boxes) : RPC:program isn't registered (or very similar to it).

Which is which?  Is the Sun box the client or the server?

Try specifying version=2 on the mount lines.

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

patches and nfs

Post by Markus Ender » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 16:24:36

Hi Darren,

Darren Dunham schrieb:

> > Hi,

> > after installing the latest recommended path cluster for solaris 8 from
> > sunsolve, I have the problem, that nfs doesn't work anymore. NFS worked
> > before. The error message is (when I try to mount the sun from several
> > linux boxes) : RPC:program isn't registered (or very similar to it).

> Which is which?  Is the Sun box the client or the server?

The sun is always the server.

Anyhow: It ssems, that I have not understood how rpc works and why I
need it for nfs. I also don't understand the meaning of the rpcbind
program. Do I have to start before or afterw the nfs.server? Or doesn't
it matter?
May anybody explain it in a few words (or is it quite to complex?)

Quote:> Try specifying version=2 on the mount lines.

I'll try...

Thanx
Markus

patches and nfs

Post by Darren Dunha » Sat, 11 Nov 2000 04:00:00

> Hi Darren,
> Darren Dunham schrieb:

>> > Hi,
>> > after installing the latest recommended path cluster for solaris 8 from
>> > sunsolve, I have the problem, that nfs doesn't work anymore. NFS worked
>> > before. The error message is (when I try to mount the sun from several
>> > linux boxes) : RPC:program isn't registered (or very similar to it).

>> Which is which?  Is the Sun box the client or the server?
> The sun is always the server.
> Anyhow: It ssems, that I have not understood how rpc works and why I
> need it for nfs. I also don't understand the meaning of the rpcbind
> program. Do I have to start before or afterw the nfs.server? Or doesn't
> it matter?
> May anybody explain it in a few words (or is it quite to complex?)

RPC is required to talk to mountd.  Unless you've done something weird,
it will be started at boot.  Additional nfs services are started at boot
if you have a valid 'share' line in /etc/dfs/dfstab.

The client asks the portmaster on the server where mountd is.  If it
doesn't get a satisfactory answer, that would give you the 'RPC: program
isn't registered' message.

This can happen with bugs on both sides.  It could be that the Linux
client is requesting a particular version and isn't falling back to
another one when that version isn't served.