Can't mount / as read/write

Post by ed » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 02:03:01

Hi,
I have had some problmes moutning my root disk read/write since
unmirroring and remirroring my disks a week ago.

The system is now in an inconsistent state apparently - as root is
write locked, it has a lot of problems mounting the other disks on the
system as it tries to update certain tables in /etc

All the partitions were unmirrored with ODS and the system crashed for
some reason during the remirror (remirroring to the old configuration
after an upgrade).

Is there anything I can do to make my root disk read/write again or find
out why it is read locked? The other half of the root mirror is no
longer bootable and gives a cpu panic if I try to use it as a boot
device. Also when I boot of the bootable root disk, after many boot up
error messages, I can log in, but df -k only show the root , proc and
swap partitions, even when I mount subsequent partitions on the system.

Thanks for help,
ed

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Can't mount / as read/write

Post by hans maye » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 21:21:48

>Is there anything I can do to make my root disk read/write again or find
>out why it is read locked? The other half of the root mirror is no

make a filesystem-check fsck, after, it should be r/w-able.

--
best regards from vienna           |
hans                               |   mayer (at) relay.bfl.at_SPAM

Can't mount / as read/write

Post by Philip Bro » Fri, 05 Jan 2001 04:17:50

>Hi,
>I have had some problmes moutning my root disk read/write since
>unmirroring and remirroring my disks a week ago.

>The system is now in an inconsistent state apparently - as root is
>write locked, it has a lot of problems mounting the other disks on the
>system as it tries to update certain tables in /etc

That's a bad sign. a Very Bad Sign.

If you dont have backups, but you have lots of important data or configs on
there, then you can try

1. boot off cdrom

2. pull up a shell tool, and fsck the device associated with your
   half-working root partition

3. do an "upgrade", if the system isn't too trashed to make this available.

[4. reintall disk suite, and follow the instructions on mirroring root]

Advantages of doing an "Upgrade":

It will keep any non-system packages you have installed, installed.
Plus most configurations will be left intact

Disadvantages:

slow, may still change one or two things, and you'll have to re-patch your
OS to whatever patch level you had before.

The word of the day is mispergitude

Can't mount / as read/write

Post by Grumblefo » Thu, 18 Jan 2001 04:00:12

Root hack.  (dangerous security takeover of a sun workstation.)
Boot Sun Cdrom
Right click on desktop after system loads.  Pull up a terminal.
Mount /a
Fsck /(arc path)  (This is the Partition you are having trouble with.)
Make whatever changes you need at that point.  You are running Solaris
from the CD,
Not the harddrive.  You can CD to the root directory and make what ever
changes you wish.

Joe G.