Floppy installation of Solaris 8?

Post by Joshua Ston » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 16:57:33

I want to install Solaris 8 on my Ultra 1s, but I do not have CDROM drives
for them.  I also do not have another Solaris 8 machine on my network...
These are the first machines I've acquired that will satisfactorily run
Solaris 8, and I'd like to install it.  Is there a way to install Solaris 8
with a boot floppy?  Or is there some way to build a jumstart server that
is not a Solaris machine?

                                        -Josh O-

Post by Peter Bunclar » Sat, 05 Jan 2002 18:21:55

> I want to install Solaris 8 on my Ultra 1s, but I do not have CDROM drives
> for them.  I also do not have another Solaris 8 machine on my network...
> These are the first machines I've acquired that will satisfactorily run
> Solaris 8, and I'd like to install it.  Is there a way to install Solaris 8
> with a boot floppy?  Or is there some way to build a jumstart server that
> is not a Solaris machine?

>                                         -Josh O-

When you say ``do not have another Solaris 8'', do you
imply you have earlier Solaris systems?  They can act
as an install server.
    You could set up a non-Solaris OS as an install server
in theory, if it can serve rarp, tftp and NFS;  but you'd
have to manually reproduce the simple Solaris setup
utilities, requiring a good knowledge of how it all hangs
together.

Pete.

Floppy installation of Solaris 8?

Post by John D Groenve » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 03:03:22

Quote:>Jumpstart on a Linux box (not easy!  Search google for the
>instructions), you'll have to wait for your Solaris system.

If he has a PC, then perhaps it would be easier to install
Solaris x86 on that system and configure Jumpstart on it.
John

Post by Joshua Ston » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 07:42:54

>> I want to install Solaris 8 on my Ultra 1s, but I do not have CDROM
>> drives
>> for them.  I also do not have another Solaris 8 machine on my network...
>> These are the first machines I've acquired that will satisfactorily run
>> Solaris 8, and I'd like to install it.  Is there a way to install Solaris
>> 8
>> with a boot floppy?  Or is there some way to build a jumstart server that
>> is not a Solaris machine?

>>                                         -Josh O-

> When you say ``do not have another Solaris 8'', do you
> imply you have earlier Solaris systems?  They can act
> as an install server.
>     You could set up a non-Solaris OS as an install server
> in theory, if it can serve rarp, tftp and NFS;  but you'd
> have to manually reproduce the simple Solaris setup
> utilities, requiring a good knowledge of how it all hangs
> together.

> Pete.

Thanks for the help guys... In reference to the suggestion to use Solaris
x86 as a jumpstart server -- that sounds like a great idea.  I will be
installing it on one of my machines anyway at some point... thanks for the
heads up.

Meanwhile, I asked a colleague if I could borrow an external SCSI CD-ROM
drive, and I'll be playing with that in the next few days... if it doesn't
work out... I'll probably try the x86 method...

Thanks!

                                        -Josh O-