idle timeouts (ssh and telnet): where is this set?

idle timeouts (ssh and telnet): where is this set?

Post by Kate & Rand » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:15:55

From my machine at home running DSL, I telnet and ssh to various
Solaris machines at our university, and after a few minutes idle time,
it disconnects me.  I played with the 'autologout' variable but it
seems to have no effect.  What is it that's causing these timeouts?

Thanks!

Post by Dave Uhrin » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:29:37

> From my machine at home running DSL, I telnet and ssh to various
> Solaris machines at our university, and after a few minutes idle time,
> it disconnects me.  I played with the 'autologout' variable but it
> seems to have no effect.  What is it that's causing these timeouts?

You are using pppoe on your DSL connection?

I have had an ssh session connecting this Ultra 1 to a PeeCee running RH-8
on line, local network, for the last 7 hours.

idle timeouts (ssh and telnet): where is this set?

Post by Wayn » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:08:54

Depending on your shell you might look for "TMOUT" environment
variable being set to something other than zero.

One site I know of used a tricky method to end sessions: in
/etc/profile, a background job was started with sleep and kill
commands.  This method gave warnings at 5 minutes left and one
minute left.  A "ps" command can be used to detect this.

-Wayne

> From my machine at home running DSL, I telnet and ssh to various
> Solaris machines at our university, and after a few minutes idle time,
> it disconnects me.  I played with the 'autologout' variable but it
> seems to have no effect.  What is it that's causing these timeouts?

> Thanks!

idle timeouts (ssh and telnet): where is this set?

Post by Atif Mun » Wed, 30 Jul 2003 18:04:51

Hello,

Timeout is set in the shell...not with telnet nor ssh.....you may do
this in the .profile of any user as under
vi $HOME/.profile
TMOUT=0
save the file and exit
now its set at 0 ...you may change it to any required value.

ATif

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 00:17:23

> Hello,

> Timeout is set in the shell...not with telnet nor ssh.....you may do
> this in the .profile of any user as under
> vi $HOME/.profile
> TMOUT=0
> save the file and exit
> now its set at 0 ...you may change it to any required value.

That won't do a bit of good if the pppoe connection is timing out.  That
type of link must be kept alive by ongoing activity at the client, perhaps
a periodic ISP mail check.

idle timeouts (ssh and telnet): where is this set?

Post by Jeremiah DeWitt Weine » Fri, 01 Aug 2003 03:39:01

Quote:> From my machine at home running DSL, I telnet and ssh to various
> Solaris machines at our university, and after a few minutes idle time,
> it disconnects me.  I played with the 'autologout' variable but it
> seems to have no effect.  What is it that's causing these timeouts?

        Hard to know exactly, but I've had similar experiences.  I think
it's sometimes caused by a firewall which is aggressively trying to keep
the number of connections down.  The most helpful thing I've found is
"spinner" by Joe Laffey: http://www.laffeycomputer.com/spinner.html
It puts a series of characters into the upper-left-hand corner of the
terminal window (or null characters, if you prefer) and that activity
can help keeps links open.

1. Idle-Timeout with Telnet and SSH

Hello All,

When I telnet or ssh out from my Sun Blade running SunOS 5.9, my
sessions seem to time out rather quickly.  I know it's not the far end
that is disconnecting the sessions, so it must be my workstation.  Is
there someway to set the idle-timeout on outbound (client side) telnet
and ssh connections?

Thank you for the help.

Pete

2. How to play music, saved "streamed" radio, on solaris (sparc5)?

3. Telnet/Ssh idle timeout

4. AIX HACMP SP2 System programmer / Admin needed

5. Telnet / SSH Idle Timeout

6. Quota-1.31 uploaded

7. set idle timeout for telnet and wu-ftpd

8. S3 968, Why does X let me choose 800x600 ???

9. SSH login, idle timeout

10. telnet idle timeout

11. Need to disable idle timeout on telnet

12. idle Telnet timeout