Cant compile applications: "make" cant find "cc"

Cant compile applications: "make" cant find "cc"

Post by Greg Turnbu » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 19:55:33

Does anyone know why this is so??

When I go to make the application it cant find "cc" or "gcc"

Are they missing from a path somewhere.

What are these. I'm quite new to unix and I am only starting to learn.

Thanks
Greg Turnbull

Post by Tan Zheng D » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 20:03:57

> Does anyone know why this is so??

> When I go to make the application it cant find "cc" or "gcc"

> Are they missing from a path somewhere.

> What are these. I'm quite new to unix and I am only starting to learn.

> Thanks
> Greg Turnbull

Solaris compilers are an additional cost item.  You have to either
purchase them separately, or download and install gcc from
sunfreeware.com .

--
tzd.

Cant compile applications: "make" cant find "cc"

Post by Jeff and Trilby Kirklan » Sun, 06 Jan 2002 23:59:25

If this is a new installation of Solaris, then you are going to have to
get the packages you need from www.sunfreeware.com.  You should be able
to find all the packages you need there.
First thing that you could do is go to the root directory:

        cd /

and try to find either gcc or cc:

        find / -name cc -print 2>/dev/null
        find / -name gcc -print 2>/dev/null

If there are on the system, the above commands will give you the full
path to them.  If they are there, just add their path's to your path and
you should be fine.  Otherwise, start downloading.

#jlk

Post by Tony Curti » Mon, 07 Jan 2002 00:45:33

>> On 5 Jan 2002 02:55:33 -0800,

> Does anyone know why this is so??  When I go to make the
> application it cant find "cc" or "gcc"
> Are they missing from a path somewhere.
> What are these. I'm quite new to unix and I am only
> starting to learn.

About availability of compilers:

    http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html#q6.1

About gcc and other packages:

    http://www.sunfreeware.com/
    http://www.bolthole.com/solaris/pkg-get.html

hth
Oh!  I've said too much.  Smithers, use the amnesia ray.