Solaris 2.5.1 to Solaris 7 upgrade

Post by erichead.. » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 03:20:24

I have an Enterprise 2 server that I am thinking of upgrading from Solaris
2.5.1 to Solaris 7.  I am planning to dump / /usr /opt /var to tape and then
do the upgrade.  Does anyone know of any known problems with this upgrade or
should it go smoothly ?

Eric Headley

Post by Mike Mill » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 22:27:01

>I have an Enterprise 2 server that I am thinking of upgrading from Solaris
>2.5.1 to Solaris 7.  I am planning to dump / /usr /opt /var to tape and then
>do the upgrade.  Does anyone know of any known problems with this upgrade or
>should it go smoothly ?

>Eric Headley

The first thing to do is make sure all of your software is happy in
64bit mode. I ran into this problem myself assuming(bad I know) that
everything we had would work on 2.7. It doesn't. If you do your own
DNS then you also have to change the named config as 2.7 has a much
newer version of BIND.

Mike Miller
Mike Miller
Supervisor/Support Engineer
General Dynamics Electronic Systems

1. Solaris 10 (build 63) upgrade fails on Solaris 8 as well as Solaris 9 sparcs

Hello
         Using the Solaris 10 build 63 for sparc.

Tried to do upgrades on the following two machines.

1. E4500  Solaris 8 (117350-11 Kernel level)
    Entire Distribution OEM support cluster, OBP 3.2.30.

2. Ultra 2  Solaris 9 Entire Distribution and OEM support cluster.

On both machines the upgrade starts when I put the CD 1 and and reaches to
the point where I have to select whether I want to do "Initial Install" or
"Upgrade".

When I check upgrade it starts initializing the system and halfway through I
get the follwoing error

"Could not reinitialize the system state".

At which point I have no option but to click OK on the error and exit out of
the install process.

Has anyone seen this can anyone provide any tips or pointers.?????

Thanks
Sandeep

2. vmlinux versus bzImage

3. No upgrade option presented at Solaris 2.6 upgrade to Solaris 8

4. FTP problem !!

5. Upgrade to Solaris 8 from Solaris 7

6. how to trace rm command

7. Solaris 2.5.1 to Solaris 8 Upgrade from hell

8. Rational's RUP Devl Product -- Anyone out there using it? Any feedback?

9. Solaris 2.5.1 upgrade to Solaris 7

10. Live upgrade from Solaris 8 to Solaris 9

11. Upgrading from Solaris 2.5.1 to Solaris 8

12. Solaris 9 BETA_REFRESH --> Solaris 9 5/02 upgrade kernel panic

13. Solaris 2.6 upgrade to Solaris 7 5/99