Solaris 8 on HP VL420 (ASUS P4B-MX) installation problems

Solaris 8 on HP VL420 (ASUS P4B-MX) installation problems

Post by Darek Bednarczy » Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:05:23

I have problems with installing Solaris 8 on Hewlett-Packard
VL420 (ASUS P4B-MX). The integrated NIC Intel Pro/100 VE
dont works.
Has anybody allready installed Solaris 8 on ASUS P4B-MX
(it is on HCL).

TIA

--
Darek Bednarczyk

Solaris 8 on HP VL420 (ASUS P4B-MX) installation problems

Post by ken » Wed, 26 Dec 2001 09:23:10

Hi - how do you know "it don't work"? What did you do to
configure the card?

-- Ken

Post by Darek Bednarczy » Fri, 28 Dec 2001 23:46:32

> Hi - how do you know "it don't work"? What did you do to
> configure the card?

"It don't work" means:
- Solaris recognize the NIC (at the boot time there is a message
  'configuring elx??' - I don't remember exact now the the name
  elx??, but it was correct)
- ifconfig displays information about the NIC
- ping don't works at all - 0 packets received

--
Darek Bednarczyk

Solaris 8 on HP VL420 (ASUS P4B-MX) installation problems

Post by ken » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 04:14:05

Hi - it's ifconfig which essentially tells you if your
card is configured and operating correctly.

But if the card isn't configured correctly, it should
be clear it won't work correctly.

If you still have trouble, post your ifconfig output
and the output of prtconf -D -v so someone else can
help you.

Also, in your first post you indicated you had a
Intel Pro/100 flavor NIC but in this post you're
indicating you have 'elx0' which is 3 COM card.

You need to figure out which card you have and state the
information accurately.

If it's Intel Pro/100, then there should be file

        /etc/hostname.iprb0

with your hostname it.

By "pink don't work at all", I'll presume you trying to
the Internet.

If you can't ping the card on your machine, it should be
clear you shouldn't be able ping the Internet.

Check to make sure you can ping your machine.

Also, check your /etc/nsswitch.conf to ensure you
have

        hosts: files dns

entry and that you have correct entries in

        /etc/resolv.conf

Search the archives at

        http://groups.google.com

and see

        http://docs.sun.com

for information on how to configure your network.

See you sometime next year.

-- Ken

Post by Bruce Adle » Sat, 29 Dec 2001 20:29:17

> > Hi - how do you know "it don't work"? What did you do to
> > configure the card?

> "It don't work" means:
> - Solaris recognize the NIC (at the boot time there is a message
>   'configuring elx??' - I don't remember exact now the the name
>   elx??, but it was correct)
> - ifconfig displays information about the NIC
> - ping don't works at all - 0 packets received

Read this:

If that doesn't work, then you'll have to figure out how to collect and
post some real facts rather than vague impressions of what you
think is going wrong. You might want to consider taking notes
or even just "cut and paste" the actual commands and responses into
your next post.

I really don't understand why some people insist on posting vague
descriptions of their diagnostic messages rather than the messages
themselves. And given that you're unable fix your own problem
how could you possibly be so certain that a key message (that you can't
even remember) was "correct"?

Post by Darek Bednarczy » Sun, 30 Dec 2001 01:07:47

> Also, in your first post you indicated you had a
> Intel Pro/100 flavor NIC but in this post you're
> indicating you have 'elx0' which is 3 COM card.

> You need to figure out which card you have and state the
> information accurately.

> If it's Intel Pro/100, then there should be file

>         /etc/hostname.iprb0

It was my mistake - it should be iprb.

The problem is I don't have this VL420 on my desk anymore. Now it is
in another city, but I must next go to this machine and install
Solaris on it. So I'm trying to find some info on internet.

Thanks for your help.

--
Darek Bednarczyk

1. P4 on Asus P4B Mothercard

Hi

Tree smalls questions (but very importants for me)

I want know : The P4B Asus Mothercard with P4 is there supported by
FreeBSD ?
( The technical details of P4B

* Supports Intel Pentium 4 socket 478 processors
* Intel i845 and ICH2 chipset
* 3 DIMMS slots for up to 3GB of PC100/PC133 SDRAM support
* AGP 4X slot (1.5V only)
* ATA-100/66/33 support
* 4 USB ports
* 6 PCI slots / 1 CNR slot
* AC ' 97 audio
* S/PDIF-out interface

)

It's for a NFS Server (I not need the audio etc...)

The vinum implemantation on FreeBSD 4.3 (or 4.4 ;-) ) is there stable ?

How many supplementary ram I need for use vinum ?

Regards

2. TSCH and NIS

3. ASUS P4B SMBus quirks.

4. Thanks SCO!

5. Anyone can sucessfully install RH7.X on Asus P4B-266E w/ built-in Promise IDE RAID

6. trouble

7. Asus P4B supported under Linux?

8. PPP becomes slowly

9. IRQ sharing on Asus P4B

10. RF7.2 on P4 Intel 845 - ASUS P4B

11. Repost: ASUS APM Problem (ASUS L8400L & ASUS P2B-F)

12. Solaris 2.3 sendmail.mx not using MX records

13. Sound not working on Asus P4S533-MX mother board