/var/log/messsages rotation

Post by Marc » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 18:46:15

Hi there,

I saw that /var/log/messages gets rotated with the time but I couldn't
find which process rotates it. Any hints ?

Regards

/var/log/messsages rotation

Post by Henk J. Sne » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:09:24

This is manged with the /usr/lib/newsyslog command which is run once a day
via cron.

Henk.

Quote:> Hi there,

> I saw that /var/log/messages gets rotated with the time but I couldn't
> find which process rotates it. Any hints ?

> Regards

/var/log/messsages rotation

Post by Marc » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:18:26

> This is manged with the /usr/lib/newsyslog command which is run once a day
> via cron.

I would say once a week (Solaris 8):

10 3 * * 0   /usr/lib/newsyslog

Isn't there any logrotate such as on Linux ? What do usualy people do
when they have other log files to rotate ? Install logrotate ?

Regards

/var/log/messsages rotation

Post by Casper H.S. Di » Tue, 16 Jul 2002 19:53:38

>> This is manged with the /usr/lib/newsyslog command which is run once a day
>> via cron.
>I would say once a week (Solaris 8):
>10 3 * * 0   /usr/lib/newsyslog
>Isn't there any logrotate such as on Linux ? What do usualy people do
>when they have other log files to rotate ? Install logrotate ?

There is one in Solaris 9, /usr/sbin/logadm

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.