/home/username question...

Post by bzgrou » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

I installed Solaris 8 and try to add another user.
When I use useradd command with key -d /home/username  directory the Solaris
don't write out any directory there.
When I do the same with key -d /export/home/username all is OK. I think it's
better to use /home/username directory.
What can I do with it?
One more question :  When I try to use admintool to add user
there is no any field in the form, iust blank list . What is wrong?

Thank you.

/home/username question...

Post by Ravi Adap » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,
The filesystem for users by default is /export/home. It's under this directory
that the user homedirectories are created.
If you do df -ek , this should tell you what filesystems are mounted on your
system.

Hope this answers your question

Regards
Ravi Adapa

> I installed Solaris 8 and try to add another user.
> When I use useradd command with key -d /home/username  directory the Solaris
> don't write out any directory there.
> When I do the same with key -d /export/home/username all is OK. I think it's
> better to use /home/username directory.
> What can I do with it?
> One more question :  When I try to use admintool to add user
> there is no any field in the form, iust blank list . What is wrong?

> Thank you.

/home/username question...

Post by Richard Walte » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Quote:>I installed Solaris 8 and try to add another user.
>When I use useradd command with key -d /home/username  directory the Solaris
>don't write out any directory there.
>When I do the same with key -d /export/home/username all is OK. I think it's
>better to use /home/username directory.

I did it by stopping the automounter. I renamed /etc/rc2.d/S74autofs
to s74autofs and made a reboot.

Best regards,
Richard

Quote:>What can I do with it?
>One more question :  When I try to use admintool to add user
>there is no any field in the form, iust blank list . What is wrong?

>Thank you.

/home/username question...

Post by Philip Bro » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

>Hi,
>The filesystem for users by default is /export/home. It's under this directory
>that the user homedirectories are created.
>If you do df -ek , this should tell you what filesystems are mounted on your
>system.

>Hope this answers your question

It doesnt answer his question *properly*.

The right answer:

go read answer 3.4 from the Solaris FAQ, at

http://www.science.uva.nl/pub/solaris/solaris2.html

Then read the rest of it.

The word of the day is mispergitude

/home/username question...

Post by Joe Durusa » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:00:00

        For your first question, read the faq about the automounter and the
man pages it recommends.

        For the second, I don't use admintool.  You might specify what
you expect to see, and someone else can probably help you.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau