Problem attaching 4 external drives to utlra-2 running 2.6 (HELP)

Problem attaching 4 external drives to utlra-2 running 2.6 (HELP)

Post by jtur.. » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I am currently attempting to attach (e.g. chain) another set of disk
drives to my sun-ultra -2, running solaris 2.6.  The current
configuration contains 2 internal disks and CDROM drive on there own
controller and 2 external disks (ST15150N's) on there own
controller(wide).  The external  drives (SCSI-2) have been  work  fine
until I attempted to attach  2 more drives (ST15150N's)  on the same
bus.  When I attempt to boot -r  with the new set of
drives chained on , the  controller the drives are attached too
appears to get stuck in a loop constantly resetting itself.

I have run a probe-scsi-all from a fresh boot (with auto-boot?= false)
but all I ever see the internal drive sets listed and the controller
name of the external drives.
When I attached the new drive pair  to controller by themselves,
and run the probe-scsi-all command I still cannot see them.
Prior to attempting this move, the drive pair  was attached to a SPARC
20 and were working fine.  I reattached the drive pair to the old
system (after several hours of attempting to get the working on the
new system) and they can be probed, and they are working fine.

Tthe scsi id's are set correctly and don't overlap.
The drives are terminated externally.
 Each of the external cables are less than 3 feet in length and appear
to be  in good shape( I have tried several different ones).
I have talked to seagate and the drive housing manufactor and they
have no clue.

Has anybody else seen this behavior?

Any suggestions would be appreciated .

Thanks in advance

Post by She Devil With A Mod » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

>Hi all,

>I am currently attempting to attach (e.g. chain) another set of disk
>drives to my sun-ultra -2, running solaris 2.6.

Have you loaded patch 105356-02?

--
Small it may well be, my Asatru hearth, but    | Do not           CD  c
Love won't go to waste for the dwellers within | taunt --------P===\==/

Problem attaching 4 external drives to utlra-2 running 2.6 (HELP)

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Mon, 06 Apr 1998 05:00:00

>Each? What do you mean "each?" How long are all cables combined (more
>than 6'?) Single-ended SCSI (what you probably have) can only be run
>about 6' total length of all combined cables.

*Including* the internal cable length, which often counts as one foot
by itself.

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

Problem attaching 4 external drives to utlra-2 running 2.6 (HELP)

Post by William F. Wyat » Tue, 07 Apr 1998 04:00:00

[...]>

Quote:> > Each of the external cables are less than 3 feet in length and appear
> > to be  in good shape( I have tried several different ones).

> Each? What do you mean "each?" How long are all cables combined (more
> than 6'?) Single-ended SCSI (what you probably have) can only be run
> about 6' total length of all combined cables.

No, not 6' (=6 feet).

Fast SCSI is 6 meters.

On the Ultra 2, the mobo has single-ended fast/wide. For this the
limit is 3 meters ~= 10 feet.

However, as Casper Dik has pointed out, you add up to a foot per box.

And, if you're thinking of an Ultra 30/60, the UltraWide s.e. SCSI is
1.5 meters. That makes more than a single external chassis nearly
impossible. We're doing it, by getting the shortest cables we could,
an by putting the Sun multipak as the second (last) drive so as to use
its internal autotermination, which is apparently required.

--

   Smithsonian Astrophysical Observatory  (Cambridge, MA, USA)

1. Solaris 2.6 doesn't boot if external disk attached

Recently, I purchased a SS10/15, Solaris 2.6 which works fine. I also have an
old IPC to which I have an external SCSI disk attached. I want to transfer
a bunch of files from the external to the internal on the SS10. So I simply
plugged it into the SS10 and booted up. But, if I have the external disk
attached
to the SS10, the SS10 refuses to boot *even if the power is off to the external
hard disk!!*. I have tried setting various SCSI ids on the disk to no avail.
If I attach another external device such as a CD or tape device, the SS10
boots fine. It only fails if the external device is the Box Hill disk.

The error message is:

bootblk: can't find the boot program
Program terminated
Type help for more information
ok

Any ideas how or if I can boot this with an attached SCSI disk?

2. Digital Audio Card For Linux

3. Solaris 2.6 changed available space on external drive

4. Who makes more money?

5. Attaching external SCSI disk to PC running Solaris 2.1

6. Hi speed wireless internet, anyone using it?

7. Attaching external scsi-1 or scsi-2 tape drive to 44p-270 (7044-270)

8. Setting socket read timeout on Linux

9. Please help : Getting a PLASMON 4240 SCSI CDR external drive to run on SOLARIS ??!?!?

10. REQ HELP: Intel D865PERL board, 2.6.x kernel, runs like a 386 when running with ACPI?

11. Cloning two different sized hard drive's running Solaris 2.6 on Sparc

12. Problem installing external scsi on Solaris 2.6

13. Problem attaching external disk to TP