Corrupted /etc/passwd file Cant Login!!!!!!

Corrupted /etc/passwd file Cant Login!!!!!!

Post by Debbie Westal » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Greetings,

I am running SOlaris 2.4 on an Intel box (x86). It appears I
have a corrupted /etc/passwd file, I can't get logged in at all
(even root) and I can't telnet there, etc.

Is there anyway out of this??

Thanks

Debbie Westall
Network Engineer
Computer Strategies, Inc

Corrupted /etc/passwd file Cant Login!!!!!!

Post by Osama Araf » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Yes. If you have a CD-ROM attached to the machine then boot off the CDROM in
single user mode. Then fsck the root partion on the drive. Then mount the root
partition and copy the passwd and shadow of the cdrom onto the drive or see if
you you can edit it with vi and fix it. Reboot and you should be in business.