Shutdown cannot run?!

Post by zhuang » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

    When shutdown running, the message shows:
showmount: my hostname: RPC: Program not registered,
and then shutdown will stop. Why is showmount registered? And how do I solve
the problem?..

Shutdown cannot run?!

Post by zhuang » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

        When shutdown is running, the message shows:
showmount: my hostname :RPC: Program not registered,
and then shutdown stops! How do I solve the problem? What is the reason?
thanks..

Shutdown cannot run?!

Post by Tristan VARAILLO » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>     When shutdown running, the message shows:
> showmount: my hostname: RPC: Program not registered,
> and then shutdown will stop. Why is showmount registered? And how do I solve
> the problem?..

Really ? will shutdown stop ? Error message appears but il WILL shutdown... on 2.5 I mean.

shutdown script is calling showmount... and if mountd is not running it will fail.

- Tristan

Shutdown cannot run?!

Post by Jesus Suare » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

>     When shutdown running, the message shows:
> showmount: my hostname: RPC: Program not registered,
> and then shutdown will stop. Why is showmount registered? And how do I solve
> the problem?..

I think that you probably have a file called K* (probably K60nfs.server)
in /etc/rc2.d. This file contains something like

        killproc mountd

when you call shutdown it executes all files K* of /etc/rc?.d where ? is
actual run level. Probably you are not running mountd, so it can kill
it,
and you get the message.
Solution:
If you don't use mountd, remove the lines from /etc/rc2.d/K60nfs.server.
If you
do use mountd and you want to use showmount, just run
/usr/lib/nfs/mountd and then
shutdown.

Hope it helps,

Jesus Suarez

Shutdown cannot run?!

Post by Anchi Zha » Wed, 04 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:     When shutdown running, the message shows:
: showmount: my hostname: RPC: Program not registered,
: and then shutdown will stop. Why is showmount registered? And how do I solve
: the problem?..

Would halt succeed?

Anchi

1. Cannot shutdown: shutdown already running (with kernel 1.2.13)

Have just upgraded to 1.2.13 ELF from 1.2.8 a.out. Initially
I could shutdown just fine, but a coupel of days later
now I find that even just after booting and logging on,
I cannot shutdown (using shutdown -r now).
I get the message in the title. I cannot
shutdown with ctrol-alt-del either. That seems to have been trapped.
Can't find anything in the man pages or the Linux Book.

        Any suggestions?

        Thanks Joe Mack

2. Frame hardware for SCO Unix Systems?

3. System cannot shutdown if X is running: Why???

4. Does Solaris 2.5 support the Ultra 1 200E?

5. Shutdown not running rc.shutdown

6. Help with "ErrorDocument not allowed here " error.

7. Can't shutdown - get message Shutdown is already running

8. Suggestion

9. Cannot log in as root AND cannot run xterm as user...

10. My Matlab 6.0 cannot run in Enlightenment but runs well in Sawfish, why?

11. removable drive mounted on shutdown- now cannot remount

12. Redhat 7.2 Cannot shutdown, always reboot.