Solaris 2.5 PPP and Win95 PAP/CHAP Question

Solaris 2.5 PPP and Win95 PAP/CHAP Question

Post by Todd Wya » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I've just recently upgraded our Sparc machines to Solaris 2.5 in order to
handle Win95 dialup networking for clients when I ran into a slight snafu.

I have a dynamic-ip point-to-point setup working rather well using a GNP
SerialSmart terminal.  The problem is getting connections to be automated...

I have the PAP config commands in the asppp.cf file (they are right as far as
I can tell) but I still have to manually login before PPP can begin (i.e.,
having to popup the dialog window, enter username and password, then click on
'continue').

Running the aspppd process in debug mode shows that the PAP negotiation indeed
takes place, but still no joy: Wind95 DUN times out on the dreaded "Verifying
Username and Password" dialog box.

Am I running into a limitation of Solaris PPP? Or just out to lunch?

Obviously, PPP connections work fine when connecting 'manually', and I DO
know how to use the scripter utility in Win95, but this is unacceptable for
the relatively inexperienced (suprise) customers we anticipate having.

Thanks in advance for any advice or pointers to information.  Reply via email,
please.

Todd Wyatt

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. Linux driver for MiroVideo DC20 ?

3. Solaris 2.5 PPP: CHAP authentication problems

4. slrnpull gives segmentation fault.

5. Help with PPP needed on Solaris 2.4 x86 (PAP/CHAP)

6. ws_ftp proxy with Linux??

7. Solaris 2.x PPP support PAP or CHAP ?

8. SCO Binaries in the US for GCC

9. PPP/PAP/CHAP Questions

10. Win95 PPP to Solaris 2.5

11. PPP : Win95 dialing in on Solaris 2.5 problems

12. Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

13. Problem PPP with Sol 2.5 and NT4 with CHAP