Windows 2000 LDAP Server -> Solaris 8 Client

Windows 2000 LDAP Server -> Solaris 8 Client

Post by Kevin Jose » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 02:46:32

Hi,
  I have been asked to setup Solaris 8 client with the LDAP with Win
2K (  I told it comes with ADS ).
  Upon reading the PDF about LDAP on Solaris I found out that a
profile is required to be setup on the LDAP server side for this to
work. Can anyone with prior experience on this tell me if I am on the
right path and if there is anything more I would need to get this to
work ?
  All I want is a common database of useraccounts/password for the
entire organization of around 1200 users.

  Thanks,
  Kevin.

Windows 2000 LDAP Server -> Solaris 8 Client

Post by Joe Blogg » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 04:32:27

Quote:> Hi,
>   I have been asked to setup Solaris 8 client with the LDAP with Win
> 2K (  I told it comes with ADS ).
>   Upon reading the PDF about LDAP on Solaris I found out that a
> profile is required to be setup on the LDAP server side for this to
> work. Can anyone with prior experience on this tell me if I am on the
> right path and if there is anything more I would need to get this to
> work ?
>   All I want is a common database of useraccounts/password for the
> entire organization of around 1200 users.

>   Thanks,
>   Kevin.

Could be worth you getting Sun's book on the topic.

http://www.sun.com/books/catalog/haines/

Solaris and LDAP Naming Services: Deploying LDAP in the Enterprise is a
practical guide to implementing Solaris 8 native LDAP on clients and
servers. Basic LDAP concepts are covered, as well as naming and
authentication architectural details. This BluePrint[tm] outlines strategies
for consolidating legacy directory services using LDAP technology.
Inside Solaris and LDAP Naming Services:
Provides an introduction to LDAP concepts and discusses how they relate to
the Solaris 8 native LDAP implementation.
Covers important administration functions including installation,
configuration, and performance tuning
Presents industry-proven approaches to highly available LDAP solutions

Windows 2000 LDAP Server -> Solaris 8 Client

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 07:03:39

Quote:>   All I want is a common database of useraccounts/password for the
> entire organization of around 1200 users.

If that many users are relying on this service, I'd be
inclined to use a reliable server.  I'd use a Solaris
LDAP server.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Windows 2000 LDAP Server -> Solaris 8 Client

Post by John Brewe » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 10:56:03

Rich,
I know that the way the password is stored is an issue, crypt is used
under Solaris Directory server for userPassoword attribute vs. Updating
Active Directory password, by creating Unicode password and updating
unicodePwd attribute.

I am just starting to look into this.

Thanks!
John

Post by Andrew Smar » Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:18:50

> Hi,
>   I have been asked to setup Solaris 8 client with the LDAP with Win
> 2K (  I told it comes with ADS ).
>   Upon reading the PDF about LDAP on Solaris I found out that a
> profile is required to be setup on the LDAP server side for this to
> work. Can anyone with prior experience on this tell me if I am on the
> right path and if there is anything more I would need to get this to
> work ?
>   All I want is a common database of useraccounts/password for the
> entire organization of around 1200 users.

>   Thanks,
>   Kevin.

I use AD4Unix, a AD plugin for unix clients.

<http://www.css-solutions.ca/ad4unix/>

--
A. Smart