two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

Post by Dale Ryon Wilhel » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:06:54

how do you add IP's ( on different subnets ) to two different NIC's in the
same machine... basically a bastion...

two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:15:34

Quote:>how do you add IP's ( on different subnets ) to two different NIC's in the
>same machine... basically a bastion...

Create /etc/hostname.<interface> files for each interface.

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

Post by Dale Ryon Wilhel » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 08:30:54

do you have more than one loghost entry in /etc/hosts???

> >how do you add IP's ( on different subnets ) to two different NIC's in the
> >same machine... basically a bastion...

> Create /etc/hostname.<interface> files for each interface.

> --

> Genuity, Burlington, MA
> *** DON'T SEND TECHNICAL QUESTIONS DIRECTLY TO ME, post them to newsgroups.
> Please DON'T copy followups to me -- I'll assume it wasn't posted to the group.

two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

Post by Lon Stowe » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:43:03

Quote:>do you have more than one loghost entry in /etc/hosts???

   Not unless you have some reason to.

two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

Post by Dale Ryon Wilhel » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:08:32

the machines will be on two different networks and two different
subnets. like a firewall, or bastion host. how does solaris know the
difference between the networks, or is this done through ifconfig?

> >do you have more than one loghost entry in /etc/hosts???

>    Not unless you have some reason to.

two IP's on one machine using two differnet NIC's

Post by Darren Dunha » Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:41:58

Quote:> the machines will be on two different networks and two different
> subnets. like a firewall, or bastion host. how does solaris know the
> difference between the networks, or is this done through ifconfig?

The /etc/hostname.<interface> files are read by startup scripts which
feed the information to ifconfig.

      < Please move on, ...nothing to see here,  please disperse >

1. Two IP's over one NIC and two gateways

Ok I must be dense this week I just can't make this work and reading
the routing HOW-TO doesn't seem to help me so could someone please
tell me what's up or is this impossible.

I have a linux machine behind a NAT router the network is 10.1.1.0,
the router is 10.1.1.1 and the server is 10.1.1.6, we're converting to
another DSL line but I need to maintain functionality for a few days
over both lines so people on the internet can get in over both lines.

So I setup another NAT router at 10.1.1.254 and poked some holes
through it to my server. Now obviously I can't just point the holes to
10.1.1.6 and hope it works since the incoming packet from 10.1.1.254
will be responded to over the 10.1.1.1 gateway by the server so I
setup a second IP on the server; 10.1.1.253 and pointed the second NAT
router at that. I know I need to add a route for that back to the
10.1.1.254 gateway but I can't seem to get the correct configuration.

I know the answer is right in front of me but I just can't get it, any
help would really be appreciated.

   http://www.newsfeed.com       The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!

2. XF86Config on Gateway solo 9100

3. two routers (two wans) connecting to one lan using two nics.

4. PC & Unix printing problem ...

5. Two 3com509B NIC's in one machine, trouble.

6. umount a disk

7. Two IP's on one NIC

8. Packet loss with ppp

9. Two IP's, one NIC

10. two IP's one NIC

11. Sendmail on two IP's (one machine)

12. Can't telnet to ONE of TWO NICs on Dual NIC System.

13. Two FQDN's one IP using a Cisco 678 ADSL router running NAT