1. New blade; solaris 8 pre-installed; default partitions OK?
Tomorrow morning I'm ordering a blade-100.
They say that it will come with solaris 8 pre-installed.
Now, I remember from a few years ago when I was upgrading
from solaris 5.something to 6 (I think), there was
some place during the os-install where it offered
to set up the disk partitions automatically.
Some guy from sun (sunservice) told me that the
default scheme was lousy, that it gave way too little
to /usr, etc, etc, and that I should figure it out
Is that *still* true? Or has sun finally come up
with better defaults?
Any suggestions on what to do, how big to make
the various partitions?
Another question: way back when (sun 3/160 days), it
was, I believe, standard to have lots of partitions,
eg 5 or 8 or so.
More recently, a sun guy told me that what he did
was to have only ONE partition -- everything stuffed
What is the current thinking on this? Pros and cons?
And any suggestions will be most welcome.
PS: a related question: the blade-100 comes with a 20gig
disk; for $300 or so you can get a second one (to go
inside the machine, alongside the first one).
Now, I have only about 10 or so gigs total right now;
it's going to take quite a while for even I to fill
the 20gig disk.
QUESTION: Given the above, what benefits from spending
the $300 and getting the second 20gig?
(Reason I ask is that I've read (here) that having
two of them makes it real easy to upgrade to
a new version of the os, eg solaris.)
If it does make it easier, *how much easier* does
it make it?
What things can go wrong in the upgrade done the "normal"
way, vs with the dual disks?
2. sendmail and SLIP- help me promote Linux!
3. Solaris Boot Manager, Want ot make WIN95 partition default boot partition
4. Why don't some X progs work with TERM
5. Install Solaris 2.3 via network to subnets w/o install server?
6. CDE BUG?
7. Default install swap settings
8. EIDE and whether to get it
9. TAMU Install Problems - No default partition
10. Installing XFree86: Setting File Links for Default Server
11. Setting TCP receive buffer default size on Solaris 2.4
12. Setting up a Default Gateway on Sparc5 running Solaris 2.5 ?