simple [DiskSuite] question , Difference between Stripe and concat ?

simple [DiskSuite] question , Difference between Stripe and concat ?

Post by domini » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:06:00



I did not really realize what are the differences between a stripe and a
  concat. I can have the same results using
metainit 1 3 /dev... /dev... /dev...
or
metainit 3 1 /dev... 1 /dev/... 1 /dev...

how does the slices will be managed in the 2 cases ?
what the best practice if I intend to expand my metadevice in a few ...
month.

Thanks for contributions.

Dominix

 
 
 

simple [DiskSuite] question , Difference between Stripe and concat ?

Post by Toomas Soom » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 01:41:16



> I did not really realize what are the differences between a stripe and a
>   concat. I can have the same results using
> metainit 1 3 /dev... /dev... /dev...
> or
> metainit 3 1 /dev... 1 /dev/... 1 /dev...

> how does the slices will be managed in the 2 cases ?
> what the best practice if I intend to expand my metadevice in a few ...
> month.

with stripe, the data will be spread across all disks in stripe (there
is 32k default data block). with concat, data will be written in
sequentially, first on first disk, then on second etc.

stripe it if you want to get some extra perfomance.

toomas
--
One possible reason that things aren't going according to plan
is that there never was a plan in the first place.

 
 
 

simple [DiskSuite] question , Difference between Stripe and concat ?

Post by domini » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 02:24:17


thank toomas !

> stripe it if you want to get some extra perfomance.

 
 
 

simple [DiskSuite] question , Difference between Stripe and concat ?

Post by Axel Neuman » Wed, 27 Mar 2002 03:54:52





> > I did not really realize what are the differences between a stripe and a
> >   concat. I can have the same results using
> > metainit 1 3 /dev... /dev... /dev...
> > or
> > metainit 3 1 /dev... 1 /dev/... 1 /dev...

> > how does the slices will be managed in the 2 cases ?
> > what the best practice if I intend to expand my metadevice in a few ...
> > month.

> with stripe, the data will be spread across all disks in stripe (there
> is 32k default data block). with concat, data will be written in
> sequentially, first on first disk, then on second etc.

> stripe it if you want to get some extra perfomance.

> toomas
> --
> One possible reason that things aren't going according to plan
> is that there never was a plan in the first place.

Hi,

This is not 100% correct.

If two slices are cocatenated the second slice will not be used until the
first is full.

HTH,

Axel Neumann

 
 
 

1. DiskSuite stripe or concat

Hello,

I would like to create a partition which contains two physical slices of
two different disks, so my choice is either to do a stripe or either to
do a concat. The problem is that these two slices are not the same size
and I just read that for stripping the slices have to be the same size
or I will loose space, is that right ? Any opinions about striping or
should I go for concat ?

Regards

2. RH7.2 USB Keyboard Support...

3. Solstice Disksuite Concat vs. Stripe

4. GUI->Text->GUI?

5. Activating a DiskSuite Concat/Stripe

6. Chorus / Cool ORB on Linux?

7. SVM and concat/stripe

8. MTOOLS/X and du

9. Disk Striping/Concat...

10. Add a slice to a Concat/Stripe with Disk Suite

11. vxprint, STRIPE vs CONCAT layout & choosing proper layout

12. DiskSuite concat problem

13. Smoke and Mirrors: mirrored concat / concat mirrors