Help: Change IP address in Solaris 7

Post by Kevin Mo » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:20:59

Hi all,

I am a newbie in Unix/Solaris administration. I am setting up a new
server on a Sun box running Solaris 7. The OS had been installed by
someone else. Now, I got a network IP address issued by our network
department. I need to change the Sun box IP but I have no clue how to do
it. I could not find any clear instruction on Sun's web site or
Internet. The system is not in production yet.

From what I have heard it seems that there will be more than one files
at different locations I need to make changes. Which and Where? Could
somebody experienced please help me out? I am desperate to change the IP
address.

Any help would be very much appreciated!!

Regards,
Kevin Mou

Help: Change IP address in Solaris 7

Post by ynots.. » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 13:58:29

Quote:> I am a newbie in Unix/Solaris administration. I am setting up a new
> server on a Sun box running Solaris 7. The OS had been installed by
> someone else. Now, I got a network IP address issued by our network
> department. I need to change the Sun box IP but I have no clue how to
> do it. I could not find any clear instruction on Sun's web site or
> Internet. The system is not in production yet.

> From what I have heard it seems that there will be more than one files
> at different locations I need to make changes. Which and Where? Could
> somebody experienced please help me out? I am desperate to change the
> IP address.

man sys-unconfig, and notice that the machine will reboot and execute
sysidtool during which you will re-configure to the new state.

-   tony

-

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Help: Change IP address in Solaris 7

Post by David Michael » Thu, 16 Nov 2000 14:04:08

hi
I'd look in /etc/hosts "first" maybe check out /etc/netmasks and
/etc/hostname.<adapter> or maybe /etc/defaultrouter ask the guy that
gave you the ip if he's friendly.

You might want to run sys-unconfig i wouldn't but you might read
man sys-unconfig it could help, man ifconfig too. It shouldn't be that
hard.
good luck
dm

Quote:> Hi all,

Post by Kevin Mo » Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:23:19

> Hi all,

> I am a newbie in Unix/Solaris administration. I am setting up a new
> server on a Sun box running Solaris 7. The OS had been installed by
> someone else. Now, I got a network IP address issued by our network
> department. I need to change the Sun box IP but I have no clue how to do
> it. I could not find any clear instruction on Sun's web site or
> Internet. The system is not in production yet.

> From what I have heard it seems that there will be more than one files
> at different locations I need to make changes. Which and Where? Could
> somebody experienced please help me out? I am desperate to change the IP
> address.

> Any help would be very much appreciated!!

> Regards,
> Kevin Mou

Thanks a lot, friends. I think I got it.

Kevin

1. Changing IP address on Solaris 9 with multiple virtual IP addresses

Hi

We are running Solaris 9 and have configured the one physical NIC with
2 IP addresses allowing us to run 2 web servers and keep both on port
80. Is changing the IP address assigned to each host as simple as
changing the entries in /etc/inet/hosts or do I need to start messing
with ifconfig?

TIA

Robert

2. READNEWS and POSTNEWS wanted

3. change MAC address can change IP address of a machine?

4. Help installing quota package

5. Help: How do you change the IP address or a server running Solaris 2.7?

6. dev_get

7. HELP: changing solaris ip address

8. Mac II memory usage under NetBSD

9. Solaris 2.3 NIS+ changed IP-address, HELP!!!

10. Change Solaris IP Address

11. Question on IP Address Change (Solaris 2.5.1)

12. IP address change on Solaris 2.4

13. change ip address on sun solaris 2.5.1