Multiple NIS+ domains served by one server?

Multiple NIS+ domains served by one server?

Post by David Haddo » Sat, 28 Oct 2000 11:03:51

Hi All,

    I have been searching all my NIS+ info sources to find
out if it is possible to have one server be the root master
for more than one domain.  I have found a procedure to do it
for NIS, but not one for NIS+.  Has anyone done this?  Can
it be done?

Thanks in advance

David

Post by Leif Andersso » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 03:02:42

> Hi All,

>     I have been searching all my NIS+ info sources to find
> out if it is possible to have one server be the root master
> for more than one domain.  I have found a procedure to do it
> for NIS, but not one for NIS+.  Has anyone done this?  Can
> it be done?

It can be done, and it works perfectly. I am not at work at the
moment, and I set it up years ago, so I can't tell you any details.
In our case the domains are control.lth.se and lab.control.lth.se. I
don't know if one domain being a subdomain of the other is necessary.
I seem to remember that the procedure for setting it up was in fact in
the NIS+ documentation. Mail me if you need more help.
/Leif

 Lund Institute of Technology           Phone:    +46 46 2229742
 P.O. Box 118                           Fax:      +46 46 138118
 S-221 00 Lund, Sweden

1. Multiple NIS domains served from one NIS Master server?

I am trying to find documentation on how to setup a NIS Master server
that acts as the master server for multiple NIS Domains.  I am not
sure if this is even possible in linux.  We have setup this
environment in HP-UX in the past.  However the ypinit command on HP-UX
allows you to specify the NIS domain if you do not want to use the
domain specified by the domainname command.

I want to setup an environment that has one NIS Master server that I
can administer all of my NIS domains from.  I would then create a NIS
domain for each customer I support and create NIS slave servers on a
few of their servers.  Each domain will have seperate NIS files. So a
seperate password, group, alias, etc...

I was able to create one NIS domain master server, however I have no
idea how I would add more NIS domains to that server.

2. Best book for system set-up and maintenance?

3. Serving multiple domains on *one* MacHTTP/WebStar server

4. Dip & SIOCADDRT Ques.

5. How does a NIS server know what NIS domain it serves?

6. Ditroff tables

7. NIS+; serving more than one domain from a single machine

8. After install can't boot to hard drive

9. Virtual Domains/multiple domains - one server

10. How to have 2 component NIS+ domain emulate one component NIS domain?

11. Multiple domains on one server with one ip addy...

12. how does one list multiple NIS (failover) servers on the NIS client

13. NIS Setup Help: "Can't bind to server which serves this domain"