Solaris 2.6 installation problem

Solaris 2.6 installation problem

Post by Petros Dourouklaki » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00



Hello folks,
Got a new ultra-5 yesterday and i am having
problems to install Solaris 2.6. The system
comes up complaining with the error
        boot: cannot find kernel/unix

Have tried numerous workarounds including interactive
boots, giving path /platform/sun4u/kernel/unix instead
of kernel/unix but none worked. Trying to install from
network gives the same error.
The manual proposes a solution :
'Reset the boot file in the PROM to "" (blank)'
but i dont know how to do that and my vendor was not
quite keen to get into this. Any clues ?

kind regards
/P

 
 
 

Solaris 2.6 installation problem

Post by Michael Schuste » Fri, 17 Apr 1998 04:00:00



> The manual proposes a solution :
> 'Reset the boot file in the PROM to "" (blank)'
> but i dont know how to do that and my vendor was not
> quite keen to get into this. Any clues ?

this is how it looks like on an ultra1:

go to the OK prompt, say "help setenv", then set the variable
"boot-file" to "" according to that help (on my machine, that would be
'setenv boot-file ""' (I think, I haven't done that in some time).

--
Michael Schuster

 
 
 

Solaris 2.6 installation problem

Post by Gerald Kel » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00



>Hello folks,
>Got a new ultra-5 yesterday and i am having
>problems to install Solaris 2.6. The system
>comes up complaining with the error
>    boot: cannot find kernel/unix

>Have tried numerous workarounds including interactive
>boots, giving path /platform/sun4u/kernel/unix instead
>of kernel/unix but none worked. Trying to install from
>network gives the same error.
>The manual proposes a solution :
>'Reset the boot file in the PROM to "" (blank)'
>but i dont know how to do that and my vendor was not
>quite keen to get into this. Any clues ?

Don't bother. It won't work. Your problem is that your version of
Solaris 2.6 doesn't support your hardware. You need the 3/98 version
of Solaris 2.6 or the 11/97 version of 2.5.1.   I ran into this
problem myself with my new Ultra 10 and the folks here set me
straight.  My turn <g>
 
 
 

Solaris 2.6 installation problem

Post by Kyle McDonal » Sun, 19 Apr 1998 04:00:00



> of Solaris 2.6 or the 11/97 version of 2.5.1.   I ran into this
> problem myself with my new Ultra 10 and the folks here set me
> straight.  My turn <g>

        Thanks. I really didn't want to type that all
        over again 8^)

                -Kyle

--
                                   _
-------------------------------ooO( )Ooo-------------------------------
Kyle J. McDonald                 (o o)                 Systems Analyst/
Northeastern University          |||||          Applications Programmer

360 Huntington Ave. 230SN        \\\//          voice:    (617)373-3361
Boston MA 02115                  (o o)            fax:    (617)373-8504
-------------------------------ooO(_)Ooo-------------------------------

 
 
 

1. Solaris 2.6 Installation Problem

Just wanted to post a problem with installing Solaris 2.6 on a filesystem
that it not large enough.  You better have backups.  I was not able to
find the amount of space needed for each slice, so I thought I would try
and see what the OS upgrade told me.  The upgrade has an option to
reconfigure you disk as needed, so I thought I would give it a try.  The
problem is it took too much space from /var and during the upgrade when
it tries to restore from a backup it makes doing the upgrade it fails. I
called SUN and it is a known problem as of a day ago.  They are working
on a fix.  Just a heads up for everyone.  

2. proftpd: how to allow anonymous to create directory under /incoming?

3. Solaris 2.6 installation problem

4. EPOC to Date Conversion

5. Solaris 2.6 (sparc) installation problem (minor)

6. Middleware to connect PostgreSQL to Web forms ?

7. Installation Problem Solaris 2.6

8. Terminal emulators needed

9. Solaris x86 2.6 Installation Problems

10. Ultra 60 Solaris 2.6 5/98 installation problem

11. Problem with installation of Solaris 2.6

12. Solaris 2.6 network installation - a problem

13. Problems with Solaris 2.6 Installation