Making things bigger in CDE (Sol9, sun4m sparc)

Making things bigger in CDE (Sol9, sun4m sparc)

Post by Don Mille » Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:43:12

Hello all:

Just installed S9 on my sparc (a late SS20) a couple weeks ago, and I've
run into one customization I can't seem to pull of - hope somebody here
can help.

I guess I want to do the opposite of what most people do - I want to make
everything on the screen (text, xterms, Netscape, etc) in CDE larger (and
easier to read) - and so far, it's eluded me.

I have tried setting the resolution lower in the OBP output-device
variable, but the only two settings that I can get to work are 1024x768
and the native 1152x900 - all others cause it to fail very early in
booting. So, it seemed like setting the dpix and dpiy values lower ought
to do it, using xdmconfig and/or Xsun - but this S9 install doesn't seem
to have xdmconfig, and Xsun -dev framebuffer <any option> returns an error
"Graphics adapter device framebuffer is of unknown type". The framebuffer
is apparently not a true Sun one - it's marked LSI on the chip, instead of
Sun, but for all other purposes it has always seemed identical to the
basic one common on late sparc systems (I forget the letter designation).

There just has to be a place for setting this in CDE, but I sure can't
find it - any help gratefully accepted. And a CC to me via e-mail would be
helpful; we're switching USENET feeds shortly, and may be down.

TIA for any info,

Don Miller

 John F. Kennedy University

  "The factory of the future will have two employees, a human and a dog.
   The human will be there to feed the dog, and the dog will be there to
   keep the human from touching the computers."

1. Installing Sol9 on sun4m in console mode

I have a quad processor SS10, 384 megs, 8 gig drive, I'm trying to get
4/03 Sol9 onto it.  The vid board is 3rd party, I have the driver but
its not on the install media, so the install is happening in console
mode.

I'm doing the install via nfs from a Linux box which has done nfs
installs fine before.  My U60 is acting as the install server.
Everything seems to proceed fine, through all the questions up until
the install starts.  The problem is the install completion graph comes
up and I immediately get blown out to the shell.  Additionally, when
the install starts, no messages appear relating to filesystems being
created or mounted- and no disk activity that suggests it either.

The scsi drive is found OK and I've selected reasonable partitioning
in the installer.  When in the shell I can sucessfully format,
partition and newfs- so the disk labels OK.  I've tried both the dvd
and regular install media with the same result.  Any hints are
welcome.

Thanks,

Gregm

2. does rup crash _your_ machine?

3. Sol9: CDE: how to flip dtterm to white on black, yellow on black, ...?

4. Where's ide3?!?

5. CPU usage is high on Sun Ultra 2 while running CDE and Sol9.

6. How to get win2000 to see hostname of linux redhat on LAN network?

7. SPARC Solaris 2.6/CDE 1.2 Sun CDE extension question

8. Stats comp.os.linux.networking (last 7 days)

9. Help troubleshooting no CDE login screen on Sol9

10. 108528-19 and up crashes sun4m (Sparc 10)

11. sun solaris on a sparc sun4m.

12. Problems installing Apache 1.0.5 on SunOS 5.4 Generic_101945-10 sun4m sparc

13. OpenBSD install on sun4m (sparc 5)