.profile question

Post by cal » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 01:53:27

Hi there,
    I specify the login shell in my exec call but it doesn't execute my
.profile if I use sh shell. If I use ksh shell, then everything is fine. The
problem only occur in SUN8. Everything is fine in SUN7. Have any idea? thx

.profile question

Post by Rich Tee » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:01:34

> Hi there,
>     I specify the login shell in my exec call but it doesn't execute my
> .profile if I use sh shell. If I use ksh shell, then everything is fine. The
> problem only occur in SUN8. Everything is fine in SUN7. Have any idea? thx

Try making the first character of argv [0] a "-", which signifies
that this is a login shell.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

.profile question

Post by cal » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 02:07:28

Yes. I did. I have -sh for the sh shell but it doesnt execute my .profile.
But it is ok for ksh shell and everything is fine under SUN7. Is it the
config problem of the OS?

> > Hi there,
> >     I specify the login shell in my exec call but it doesn't execute my
> > .profile if I use sh shell. If I use ksh shell, then everything is fine.
The
> > problem only occur in SUN8. Everything is fine in SUN7. Have any idea?
thx

> Try making the first character of argv [0] a "-", which signifies
> that this is a login shell.

> --
> Rich Teer

> President,
> Rite Online Inc.

> Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

.profile question

Post by Tan Zheng D » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 10:29:26

Seems to me that when you log in to CDE, it only sources ~/.dtprofile -- and it
only sources it once - when you log in.   ~/.dtprofile will source your
/etc/profile and ~/.profile if "DTSOURCEPROFILE=true" but once again it only
sources it once when you log in, so if you make any changes to it, you will
have to log out and log in again for the changes to take effect.  Simply
opening a new dtterm will not load the new changes.

Otherwise, /etc/profile and ~/.profile works correctly on telnet and rlogin
sessions.

--
tzd.

> Yes. I did. I have -sh for the sh shell but it doesnt execute my .profile.
> But it is ok for ksh shell and everything is fine under SUN7. Is it the
> config problem of the OS?

> > > Hi there,
> > >     I specify the login shell in my exec call but it doesn't execute my
> > > .profile if I use sh shell. If I use ksh shell, then everything is fine.
> The
> > > problem only occur in SUN8. Everything is fine in SUN7. Have any idea?
> thx

> > Try making the first character of argv [0] a "-", which signifies
> > that this is a login shell.

> > --
> > Rich Teer

> > President,
> > Rite Online Inc.

> > Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

.profile question

Post by Darrel Hankerso » Sat, 01 Dec 2001 21:50:06

> I have -sh for the sh shell but it doesnt execute my .profile.
> But it is ok for ksh shell and everything is fine under SUN7. Is it the
> config problem of the OS?

We noticed that /usr/dt/bin/Xsession assumes a noninteractive login
shell will source its profile, but this doesn't work with bash.  We
modified the last part of Xsession.

--

1. .profile questions

I'm running HP-UX 9.07 and I'm having a problem
with my .profile.  First when I bring up a new
hpterm my .profile is not executed and second when
I run it from the command line runs but then there
is a logout message and none of the settings stay.
Any help in this will be most appreciated.
--

John T. Shea

To reply remove the nospam from my address.

2. isdn

3. a .profile question about the xenix vsh

4. Help! Java1.1.4 crashes?

5. .profile question

6. Linux on an IBM RS6000 830

7. HPUX 10.2 /etc/profile question