lbxproxy : Binding Unix socket: Permission denied

lbxproxy : Binding Unix socket: Permission denied

Post by Filip Hoste » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hello,

finally when lbx is right (no errors from the libraries that weren't found)
installed,
i get a error message :

Binding Unix socket: Permission denied

I gave in the remote command : lbxproxy -display  <local>:0 :1 &

and my local host was configured with : xhost +<remote>

Can somebody explain me what this binding unix socket means?

Filip
--
    Filip Hosten, Dep. : VE119, Alcatel Design Centre Chennai India
    Internat. phone : +91 44 234 9961 ext 7135,

lbxproxy : Binding Unix socket: Permission denied

Post by Casper H.S. Dik - Network Security Engine » Wed, 11 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>Hello,
>finally when lbx is right (no errors from the libraries that weren't found)
>installed,
>i get a error message :
>Binding Unix socket: Permission denied
>Can somebody explain me what this binding unix socket means?

No write permission to /tmp/.X11-unix?

Casper
be fiction rather than truth.

lbxproxy : Binding Unix socket: Permission denied

Post by hans maye » Thu, 12 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello,

>finally when lbx is right (no errors from the libraries that weren't found)
>installed,
>i get a error message :

>Binding Unix socket: Permission denied

i assume, you do this without root permissions.
if the process tries to bind a socket lower 1024 it
is not possible.
try running as root or using a higher port-number.
( and don't forget security problems, if running as root )

--
best regards from vienna           |   mayer (at) unisys.co.at_SPAM
hans                               |   mayer (at) relay.bfl.at_SPAM

1. X: Binding Unix socket: permission denied

i guess i messed up permissions a bit, my Xserver wont start
anymore, unless i am root. after searching around all possible parts
of the tree, without finding the wrong permission, PLEASE could
someone help me....pointers in the right direction are very much
welcome!!!
(i did change permissions, ownership and group today in
/usr/X11/bin/... , but i cannot reconstruct the original state. i
suppose thats the reason for my problems.)

when i start X (using the startx script) i get thw following messages:
Binding Unix socket: permission denied
cannot establish unix listening socketXFree86 Version 2.1 X Window System
(protocol version 11, revision 0, vendor release 5000)
Operating System: Linux
Configured Drivers: .....(many driver names listed here)

fatal server error:
xf86OpenConsole: Server must be suid root
waiting for X server to begin accepting connections
giving up
xinit: invalid argument (errno 22): unable to connect to X server
xinit: no such process (errno 3): Server error

thanks a lot
jost

* Technical University Berlin             *  phone +49-30-314-23827 *

2. Xfer Protocols

3. .X11-pipe/.X11-unix permissions and vnc/lbxproxy

4. Routing Problem (Cannot connect to remote host)

5. Where to get info on setting up dial-up INTO my Linux Server?

6. Permission denied on bind ?

7. Sendmail Training Seminars in Chicago, Washington, DC, and elsewhere

8. can't bind to port: 80 Permission denied

9. Bind permission denied ?

10. Deny local socket/port binding on server.

11. 2.4 X86: ftp error, socket permission denied?

12. HELP: Problem with rlogin: rcmd: socket: Permission denied