Solaris Shell account

Post by Tom Miskiewic » Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:33:23

Hi!

I do need an Solaris shell account to compile my C code on Solaris. I spent
hours looking for a free or commercial account, but I failed to find one...
Can someone provide me a link or an account, so that I can quickly compile
my code?

thanks
Tom

Solaris Shell account

Post by Rich Tee » Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:22:00

> I do need an Solaris shell account to compile my C code on Solaris. I spent
> hours looking for a free or commercial account, but I failed to find one...
> Can someone provide me a link or an account, so that I can quickly compile
> my code?

HOw about downloading Solaris Express from Sun?

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Solaris Shell account

Post by Tom Miskiewic » Thu, 22 Jul 2004 17:06:42

Quote:> > I do need an Solaris shell account to compile my C code on Solaris. I
spent
> > hours looking for a free or commercial account, but I failed to find
one...
> > Can someone provide me a link or an account, so that I can quickly
compile
> > my code?
> HOw about downloading Solaris Express from Sun?

I do neet Solaris on a SPARC box, which I do not have. That's about it.

Solaris Shell account

Post by joe durusa » Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:49:26

> > > I do need an Solaris shell account to compile my C code on Solaris. I
> spent
> > > hours looking for a free or commercial account, but I failed to find
> one...
> > > Can someone provide me a link or an account, so that I can quickly
> compile
> > > my code?

> > HOw about downloading Solaris Express from Sun?

> I do neet Solaris on a SPARC box, which I do not have. That's about it.

You can buy a box second-hand for a few 100s of $.  This is posted from the
U.S.  Here, nothing for free.

Speaking only for myself,

Joe Durusau

Solaris Shell account

Post by Tom Miskiewic » Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:24:59

Quote:> > > HOw about downloading Solaris Express from Sun?
> > I do neet Solaris on a SPARC box, which I do not have. That's about it.
> You can buy a box second-hand for a few 100s of $.  This is posted from
the
> U.S.  Here, nothing for free.

I have no problem with paying for stuff. As I mentioned I haven't found any
provider on the net that would meet my requirements.

I think I'll buy a box. I don't believe however I can get a box with 1GB RAM
for $100.

Solaris Shell account

Post by jd » Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:38:19

Quote:> > You can buy a box second-hand for a few 100s of $.  This is posted from
> the
> > U.S.  Here, nothing for free.

> I have no problem with paying for stuff. As I mentioned I haven't found
any
> provider on the net that would meet my requirements.

> I think I'll buy a box. I don't believe however I can get a box with 1GB
RAM
> for $100.

Well, Joe D. was speaking about few 100s of $, not about 100$. This can be
100s of 100s of $ :>

JD

Solaris Shell account

Post by Greg Menk » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 00:30:26

> > > You can buy a box second-hand for a few 100s of $.  This is posted from
> > the
> > > U.S.  Here, nothing for free.

> > I have no problem with paying for stuff. As I mentioned I haven't found
> any
> > provider on the net that would meet my requirements.

> > I think I'll buy a box. I don't believe however I can get a box with 1GB
> RAM
> > for $100.

> Well, Joe D. was speaking about few 100s of $, not about 100$. This can be
> 100s of 100s of $ :>

> JD

Last I checked, ebay has U60's with 1gig of ram and single cpus for
$400 to $500.

Gregm

Solaris Shell account

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 02:01:16

> Last I checked, ebay has U60's with 1gig of ram and single cpus for
> $400 to $500.

About 10 days ago 2 U-60s with dual 360/512MB/dual 9.1GB failed to sell at
$200 ea.  The additional 512MB sells for $60-100.  I just bought 512MB of
501-3136 memory for $68.

Solaris Shell account

Post by Greg Menk » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:00:43

> > Last I checked, ebay has U60's with 1gig of ram and single cpus for
> > $400 to $500.

> About 10 days ago 2 U-60s with dual 360/512MB/dual 9.1GB failed to sell at
> $200 ea.  The additional 512MB sells for $60-100.  I just bought 512MB of
> 501-3136 memory for $68.

Figures.  I paid $450 for mine just a year ago.

Gregm

Solaris Shell account

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 08:11:34

> Figures.  I paid $450 for mine just a year ago.

LOL!  It all depends on how long you are willing to wait :-)

The 450MHz processors are somewhat more expensive.  I got a quote from a
local off-lease reseller a few days ago:  360MHz - $90 and 450 MHz - $200
just for the processor module.

Solaris Shell account

Post by Juhan Leeme » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 11:08:01

>> > Last I checked, ebay has U60's with 1gig of ram and single cpus for
>> > $400 to $500.

>> About 10 days ago 2 U-60s with dual 360/512MB/dual 9.1GB failed to sell at
>> $200 ea.  The additional 512MB sells for $60-100.  I just bought 512MB of
>> 501-3136 memory for $68.

> Figures.  I paid $450 for mine just a year ago.

Yeah. Isn't that the figure the bean counters use for "fast depreciation"
of computer gear? 50%/year? The tax guys wouldn't give it to you if it
weren't AT LEAST that much. Another reason I recommend people buy exactly
what they need exactly when they need it. No appreciable shelf life. You
have to be extracting value out of it all day, every day. Then you
can't complain. If it has been making/saving money, it paid for itself?!?

p.s. It's been only a few years ago that I actually paid about $3K for a
quad Ross Sparc-20. I suppose I should be ashamed to admit it? Still, I
purchased it for a specific purpose, and it served that purpose adequately.

--
Juhan Leemet
Logicognosis, Inc.

Solaris Shell account

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 12:14:58

> p.s. It's been only a few years ago that I actually paid about $3K for a
> quad Ross Sparc-20. I suppose I should be ashamed to admit it? Still, I
> purchased it for a specific purpose, and it served that purpose adequately.

It's been a a few more years since I bought an 8 MB 8" Winchester drive
for my Z80A machine for $3200.  It also served it purpose.

Solaris Shell account

Post by Rich Tee » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 14:16:13

> > p.s. It's been only a few years ago that I actually paid about $3K for a
> > quad Ross Sparc-20. I suppose I should be ashamed to admit it? Still, I
> > purchased it for a specific purpose, and it served that purpose adequately.

> It's been a a few more years since I bought an 8 MB 8" Winchester drive
> for my Z80A machine for $3200.  It also served it purpose.

Wow, I'm glad you guys have posted these war stories.  I don't feel
so bad now, having paid $2K for this fully loaded, dual-450 MHz
Ultra 60.  :-)

Not that I regret it; it has served its purpose, now that my book
is finished.  :-)

--
Rich Teer, SCNA, SCSA

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

Solaris Shell account

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 20:48:56

> Wow, I'm glad you guys have posted these war stories.  I don't feel
> so bad now, having paid $2K for this fully loaded, dual-450 MHz
> Ultra 60.  :-)

> Not that I regret it; it has served its purpose, now that my book
> is finished.  :-)

I'll be glad to take it off your hands then for $200 since it's fully
amortized :))

Solaris Shell account

Post by Greg Menk » Fri, 23 Jul 2004 21:10:25

> >> About 10 days ago 2 U-60s with dual 360/512MB/dual 9.1GB failed to sell at
> >> $200 ea.  The additional 512MB sells for $60-100.  I just bought 512MB of
> >> 501-3136 memory for $68.

> > Figures.  I paid $450 for mine just a year ago.

> Yeah. Isn't that the figure the bean counters use for "fast depreciation"
> of computer gear? 50%/year? The tax guys wouldn't give it to you if it
> weren't AT LEAST that much. Another reason I recommend people buy exactly
> what they need exactly when they need it. No appreciable shelf life. You
> have to be extracting value out of it all day, every day. Then you
> can't complain. If it has been making/saving money, it paid for itself?!?

> p.s. It's been only a few years ago that I actually paid about $3K for a
> quad Ross Sparc-20. I suppose I should be ashamed to admit it? Still, I
> purchased it for a specific purpose, and it served that purpose adequately.

I've been looking for a 2 dual hypersparcs for a SS20 I've been
fooling with but they seem hard to find and expensive even
nowadays.  The dual ross's are pricey on ebay...

I'm not complaining about spending money on the U60- its a great
machine, though it could really use a 2nd processor.  My only thing is
that my purchasing something often seems followed by a rapid drop in
price for the same kind of thing.  I'm not going to reveal what I paid
for a plain old Ultra 5 just a couple years ago... ;)

Gregm