HP 5si mx prints to Tray 3 instead of Tray 2

HP 5si mx prints to Tray 3 instead of Tray 2

Post by Brandon Cas » Wed, 05 Apr 2000 04:00:00

Hi all...pardon my lack of knowledge, but I am a PC guy tasked to handle
UNIX printing (Lord Help Me)

Anyways, we have a HP Laserjet 5si mx that prints fine if you use lpr, but
printing from Netscape or Acroread causes the printer to print from Tray 3,
which is loaded with 11x17 paper instead of the default Tray 2 with 8 1/2 x
11.  What's funny is if we have it setup to print seperator pages, the
separator page prints on 8x11 but the print job comes out on 11x17.

I have configured this printer exactly the same as another HP 5si mx and
that one works fine...they both have the same model script in
/etc/lp/interfaces/model.orig.  I ran a diff and they are exactly the same
(the model scripts).

Both jetdirect setups are exactly the same as well as the settings on the
printers themselves.

I know that Netscape and Acroread are putting out Postscript to this
printer, so it seems that for some reason postscript print jobs are being
sent to tray 3 instead of tray 2.

Anyone have some ideas on what to check?  Info seems to be scarce on
printing issues on both HP's and docs.sun.com, at least as far as this is
concerned.

BTW This happens both from the workstation the user logs into as well as for
another user on a different machine as well as from the machines I log
into...

Thanks for any help or pointers...

Brandon

Post by Greg Andre » Fri, 07 Apr 2000 04:00:00

>Anyways, we have a HP Laserjet 5si mx that prints fine if you use lpr, but
>printing from Netscape or Acroread causes the printer to print from Tray 3,
>which is loaded with 11x17 paper instead of the default Tray 2 with 8 1/2 x
>11.  What's funny is if we have it setup to print seperator pages, the
>separator page prints on 8x11 but the print job comes out on 11x17.

The Postscript-encoded "banner" page is printed from the default
tray, but the Postscript-encoded output from Netscape and Acroread
is printed from a different tray.

Sounds like Netscape and Acroread are either selecting an explicit
tray, or specifying an image that's too big for 8.5x11" paper.

I doubt there's anything Solaris or Jetadmin can do about that.

  -Greg