sun4u adn sun4m

Post by Atif Mun » Mon, 26 May 2003 16:49:01

Hello,

What is the difference b/w sun4u and sun4m ...?

Regards,
Atif

sun4u adn sun4m

Post by Crushe » Tue, 27 May 2003 01:05:23

> > What is the difference b/w sun4u and sun4m ...?

> sun4m is older and can only run the 32-bit kernel.  sun4u is newer and
> faster (I think) and can some models run the 32-bit or the 64-bit kernel
> while others only can run the 64-bit kernel.

sun4u = ultrasparc, sun4m = supersparc (I think)

sun4u adn sun4m

Post by Goran Larss » Tue, 27 May 2003 02:21:15

> sun4u = ultrasparc, sun4m = supersparc (I think)

The sun4m systems are SPARC systems using the MBus. Some of them have
the processor on replaceable MBus modules (example: SS20) and some have
the processor on the system board (example: SS5). Many sun4m systems
use SuperSPARC processors, but HyperSPARC and microSPARC are also used.

--
G?ran Larsson     http://www.mitt-eget.com/

sun4u adn sun4m

Post by Phil Jens » Tue, 27 May 2003 04:11:50

A brief difference would be that sun4u denotes the UltraSPARC
architecture (32/64-bit/sparcv9) and that sun4m denotes the MicroSPARC
architecture (32-bit/sparcv8).

Everything from Sun from the Ultra 1 on up is sparcv9-based/sun4u.
The SparcStations like the 10 and 20 are sparcv8/sun4m.

Hope this helps,
Phil

> Hello,

> What is the difference b/w sun4u and sun4m ...?

> Regards,
> Atif

sun4u adn sun4m

Post by Timothy J. L » Tue, 27 May 2003 09:39:20

>A brief difference would be that sun4u denotes the UltraSPARC
>architecture (32/64-bit/sparcv9) and that sun4m denotes the MicroSPARC
>architecture (32-bit/sparcv8).

sun4m computers may have SuperSPARC or hyperSPARC processors as well
as MicroSPARC processors.

Timothy J. Lee

sun4u adn sun4m

Post by Deborah Gronke Bennet » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 07:04:14

> > sun4u = ultrasparc, sun4m = supersparc (I think)

> The sun4m systems are SPARC systems using the MBus. Some of them have
> the processor on replaceable MBus modules (example: SS20) and some have
> the processor on the system board (example: SS5). Many sun4m systems
> use SuperSPARC processors, but HyperSPARC and microSPARC are also used.

> --

This is the correct answer. (I worked in the kernel group at Sun
when these decisions were made). The "m" in Sun4m indeed refers
to the MBus architecture. The next system architecture was
orignally designated Sun5u, with the "u" referring to the UPA
bus, and the first instance was the Ultra-1. The arch name was
changed to Sun4u because of certain scripts which had assumed
any kern arch other than one starting with "sun4" was not SPARC.

-deborah bennett

--
deborah (at) best (dot) com