Commerical Spreadsheet for Solaris 2.x?

Post by Randolph B. Bro » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
: like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
: environment (all SPARCS).

I'd seriously consider MAE (Macintosh Application Environment, an Apple
product), which lets you run Mac programs on a SPARC (or HP). Then just
use Excel.

Commerical Spreadsheet for Solaris 2.x?

Post by Chin Fa » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

OK.  This is really an embrassing question :(  No, I don't need it, but
my boss wants to know about such animals and I have no ideas. (yeah, I
know and use xspread and sc :).

Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
environment (all SPARCS).

Please email.

Regards,

Chin Fang

Post by Bob Palowo » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

: OK.  This is really an embrassing question :(  No, I don't need it, but
: my boss wants to know about such animals and I have no ideas. (yeah, I
: know and use xspread and sc :).

: Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
: like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
: environment (all SPARCS).

WINGZ from Informix,  Applix has one, http://www.applix.com
I believe you can get Lotus 123 for Solaris.

---Bob

| Solaris x86 Corner http://fiver.sns.com/               |

Post by Bryan Altha » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

:
: : Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
: : like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
: : environment (all SPARCS).
:
: I'd seriously consider MAE (Macintosh Application Environment, an Apple
: product), which lets you run Mac programs on a SPARC (or HP). Then just
: use Excel.

Well, then why not just run WABI which comes with the OS to run Excel?  The
latest version of WABI 2.2 is pretty nice.

Commerical Spreadsheet for Solaris 2.x?

Post by Joe Picone - The Terminal M » Fri, 19 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
> like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
> environment (all SPARCS).

For those of you fond of shareware, there is xspread
available at ftp.cs.uwm.edu.

It's very basic, but the performance/price ratio is great...

-Joe Picone

Post by Konstantinos Agour » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>> Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
>> like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
>> environment (all SPARCS).
>For those of you fond of shareware, there is xspread
>available at ftp.cs.uwm.edu.
>It's very basic, but the performance/price ratio is great...

Try either the German StarOffice (I have it running on a Sparc
and there is an x86 version also). It's allmost like Excel but
you can export to HTML.
Then there is ApplixWare (I haven't tried that one) or Wingz.

Hope that helps.

Konstantin
--

Otkerstr. 28, 81547 Muenchen, Germany. Tel +49 89 69370185
"Treason, like beauty, lies in the eye of the beholder." Garak

Post by Frank Kaef » Sun, 21 Jul 1996 04:00:00

|Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
|like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
|environment (all SPARCS).

I'd recommend Applix, it's really nice.

Best Regards,
Frank
--
                 <<< Frank K. Kaefer * Starnberg / Germany >>>

Post by Anders W. Tel » Wed, 24 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> OK.  This is really an embrassing question :(  No, I don't need it, but
> my boss wants to know about such animals and I have no ideas. (yeah, I
> know and use xspread and sc :).

> Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
> like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
> environment (all SPARCS).

> Please email.

> Regards,

> Chin Fang

I have worked with Applixware from Applix Inc for 3 years now,
mainly in the financial area. What makes it unique in my area is the realtime capabilities.
But... i you are going to use ELF (macro language) for customizing  AW you will encounter a lot of
small problems, such as instability, very poorly named macros(you never find them when you want
them), useful macros missing, etc.

Otherwise I thing it is much better than Lotus  Wingz and any solution using WABI
(OK for graphical display but not for number chrunching).

--
/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
/  Financial Toolsmiths AB          /

Post by David Bellam » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> : OK.  This is really an embrassing question :(  No, I don't need it, but
> : my boss wants to know about such animals and I have no ideas. (yeah, I
> : know and use xspread and sc :).

> : Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
> : like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
> : environment (all SPARCS).

> WINGZ from Informix,  Applix has one, http://www.applix.com
> I believe you can get Lotus 123 for Solaris.

WINGZ is dead - pity. 123 for Solaris (Unix in general ??) is dead.  Applix is expensive.  The best hope I've seen
is that Corel is beta testing their office type products (WordPerfect etc) written in Java.  The rumour is that
these will be out late this year.  Then we will have a true cross-platform product suite - well at least anything
that runs Java and that is just about anything (or will be).

--
David Bellamy.
Deparment of Commerce.  The University of Queensland.   Australia.

Phone:      +61 7 336 56652

Commerical Spreadsheet for Solaris 2.x?

Post by Pierre Forti » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone mentioned Xess?  This is an unusual s/s program as it is a
"real-time" s/s...  It's been available for years now, though I'm about
to find out if my copy also runs on Solaris...  (my license is for
SunOS4.x)

You can get more info at http://www.ais.com

HTH,
Pierre

> > : OK.  This is really an embrassing question :(  No, I don't need it, but
> > : my boss wants to know about such animals and I have no ideas. (yeah, I
> > : know and use xspread and sc :).

> > : Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
> > : like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
> > : environment (all SPARCS).

> > WINGZ from Informix,  Applix has one, http://www.applix.com
> > I believe you can get Lotus 123 for Solaris.

> WINGZ is dead - pity. 123 for Solaris (Unix in general ??) is dead.  Applix is expensive.  The best hope I've seen
> is that Corel is beta testing their office type products (WordPerfect etc) written in Java.  The rumour is that
> these will be out late this year.  Then we will have a true cross-platform product suite - well at least anything
> that runs Java and that is just about anything (or will be).

> --
> David Bellamy.
> Deparment of Commerce.  The University of Queensland.   Australia.

> Phone:      +61 7 336 56652

Commerical Spreadsheet for Solaris 2.x?

Post by Steve Bellen » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I like the spreadsheet
Nexs:  http://www.xess.com
Comes with html documentation
--

Post by art.. » Fri, 26 Jul 1996 04:00:00

> OK.  This is really an embrassing question :(  No, I don't need it, but
> my boss wants to know about such animals and I have no ideas. (yeah, I
> know and use xspread and sc :).

> Does anyone know of/has used a commerical spreadsheet package and would
> like to give me some pointers?  It needs to be run in a Solaris 2.5.1
> environment (all SPARCS).

There are several such products.  Our company (AIS) provides the XESS
spreadsheet for this and other environments.  XESS has been on Sun since 1990.
Information and trial versions of the latest version (3.1) is available at
http://www.ais.com.  XESS can read/write spreadsheets in Lotus (WK*) and
Excel formats for compatibility with the PC world.  There are special
arrangements and pricing for educational sites.

arthur coston
applied information systems>

Post by Brandon S. Allbery KF8 » Mon, 29 Jul 1996 04:00:00

+-----
| > WINGZ from Informix,  Applix has one, http://www.applix.com
| > I believe you can get Lotus 123 for Solaris.
| WINGZ is dead - pity. 123 for Solaris (Unix in general ??) is dead.  Applix is expensive.  The best hope I've seen
+--->8

WingZ is still around, just not from Informix any more.  I think they're
targeting Linux at present, though.

Lotus 123 *may* be coming back; there is word that SmartSuite'96 is being
ported to Unix.  I'm waiting to see the truth of that one myself.

| is that Corel is beta testing their office type products (WordPerfect etc) written in Java.  The rumour is that
+--->8

...assuming they don't call out to Win32 DLLs to do the real work...

There is also a rumor that Corel is working on native Unix ports.  Again, I'll
believe it when I see it (but I would very much like to see it...)

--

Commerical Spreadsheet for Solaris 2.x?

Post by Anders W. Tel » Wed, 31 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Has anyone tried StarCalc from StarOffice package ?

The URL is  <http://www.stardiv.de>

--
/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
/  Financial Toolsmiths AB          /

/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

1. Recommendation for a commerical FTP server for Solaris

I need to find a comercial FTP server for Solaris.  I have tried
wu-ftpd, and even with lots of support from the mailing list, I cannot
get it working (it won't chroot, or display banners or messages).

I need a product that comes with real support.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks
Mike Farace

2. Any Opinions on HP Netserver LH 3000 using RedHat 6.2?

3. Commerical Software on Solaris

4. help needed asap, server migration ?'s

5. spreadsheet program for Solaris 2.3

6. Redirection on NCSA

7. Spreadsheet for Solaris

8. ppp0/TCP problem

9. AIS Releases XESS Spreadsheet for Solaris x86

10. View Excel spreadsheets under Solaris 2.5

11. Solaris Spreadsheet

12. AIS Releases XESS Spreadsheet for Solaris x86

13. Solaris 2.4/Sparc spreadsheet