nscd

Post by Prashant Ranad » Fri, 09 Mar 2001 07:43:14

I am running Ultra-10 solaris 5.8
the "nscd" process takes almost the whole CPU and if I "run ps -aef |
grep nscd" I see the time it has taken till now in thousands.
if I kill this process and stop it from starting again by renaming
/etc/nscd.conf then netscape is not able to find the IP addresses for
the hostname.
my nsswitch.conf is "hosts: dns files", I can do a "nslookup
www.yahoo.com" and get a IP address but if I open netscape and try to go
to www.yahoo.com he reports "can''t find server"...
If i start the nscd after creating /etc/nscd.conf then everything starts
working but after some time the nscd starts consuming the whole CPU...
can someone explain this? is there something trivially wrong here? can I
unbind netscape from using nscd and use nameserver for host name lookup?

pl help
TIA
Prashant

1. Solaris 9: nscd and nscd.conf - High cpu use.

I have a server that ncsd daemon run and it process causes a elevation
cpu's use, but the sum from cpu usage in top command isn't  100%  and
percentage idle is 0%.

This problem happen in solaris 9 and nscd.conf is default file.

Let me know:
How configure nscd.conf to the better performance according to
statistics from output "nscd -g" command?

Thanx.
Ed.

2. How to create an account for FTP anonymous?

3. nscd and nscd.conf

4. help with pppd nd chat

5. help me with nscd please

6. Partitioning for Linux

7. Support for NSCD-2X-P non-ATAPI CDROM

8. Bandwith monitor

9. help - nscd is eating up my memory

10. disabling nscd host cache not a good workaround for DNS problems

11. nscd & netscape

12. disabling negative nscd caching?

13. nscd seems to cause network hangs